Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

Rod Stewart's secret hit track! After 26 years, the veteran rocker finally lets the world see his breathtaking completed model railway - a 124ft spread depicting an entire US city and inspired by the view from his childhood home 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7678617/amp/Rod-Stewarts-secret-hit-track-Veteran-rocker-finally-lets-world-legendary-model-railwa.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Like (+1) 1

So happy Rex Chapman got his life back on track. His Twitter is so much fun!

• Haha  (+1) 1

I love decent (for the task) hardware that is backed by crappy drivers and software.

And can someone explain to me the purpose of defaulting a consumer gpu to 12bpc instead of 8bpc on a card with only 320 stream processors, 20 shader units and 8 ROPs?

Stupid. Almost as bad as my "new" motherboard defaulting to RAID instead of AHCI or even IDE.

3 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I love decent (for the task) hardware that is backed by crappy drivers and software.

And can someone explain to me the purpose of defaulting a consumer gpu to 12bpc instead of 8bpc on a card with only 320 stream processors, 20 shader units and 8 ROPs?

Stupid. Almost as bad as my "new" motherboard defaulting to RAID instead of AHCI or even IDE.

219B48EC517B4A1DA7A6.gif

• Haha  (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

219B48EC517B4A1DA7A6.gif

Translation: I upgraded my dedicated Kodi PC. Got everything set up and working correctly on a monitor. Go to hook it up to the television and I only get a black screen. I dig into the software and they have a bunch of default settings that are useless for 99.9% of the applications, and only make the card consume more power and run slower.

6 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

219B48EC517B4A1DA7A6.gif

Thank you. I didn't want to appear any dumber than I already do.

Saw Ahknaton Live From the Met this early afternoon at the Cinema 20 on the north side of Austin. Nice theater w/ seats like first class ones like on, say, Air Singapore. A Glass opera/piece is perhaps an acquired taste and requires a bit of knowledge to access. My inlaws had to do their nails or some such when I asked if anyone wanted to go.

Even for me 1st act dragged a bit. Acts two and three blew me away. Very abstract, very ritualized though That said, I performed such music myself in college with the music dept at Minnesota . Visually perhaps one of the most stunning Met Opera broadcasts I have  ever seen. The main characters were covered in real gold leaf makeup--lots of it. The stage and costumes were very fractal with shapes and things occurring and reoccurring at every size level as you looked. Ahknaton was a little countertenor and had undergone a 100% Brazilian wax job to be completely glabrous (hopefully except for under his loinncloth).

Anyway, whoever programmed the projection setup didn't know the opera runs 4 hours. Probably some kid. Just as the climax was occurring the screen went dead and the houselights came on. Well let me tell you there are some SERIOUS opera watchers in Austin. Cries of anger erupted and about a third of the audience stormed out. Feed came back on after about 4 minutes but lost the climax as Tutankhamun took the throne and the ghost of Ahknaton joined the ghost of his father Amenhotep. When the final ending came a bit after much of the rest of the audience stormed out demanding to see a manager. A 20 year old kid in a suit came out and the poor guy was a bit overwhelmed. Apparently this also happened recently at another Live in HD broadcast. Handed out a bunch of free passes but that calmed no one. Plus they weren't special event passes so they're useless for a future Met HD which costs much more than a regular showing. Poor kid.

I left with my pass and will forward it to one of my Austin relatives.

Opera snobs (like perhaps me) may possibly be worse than birders.

• Haha  (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Opera snobs (like perhaps me) may possibly be worse than birders.

We are bird(ers) of a feather. Glad you enjoyed your show, nonetheless. I would have volunteered to clean horse stalls for four hours rather than listen to 20th century opera. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

We are bird(ers) of a feather. Glad you enjoyed your show, nonetheless. I would have volunteered to clean horse stalls for four hours rather than listen to 20th century opera. 

Oh my dear girl...how unutterably plebian of you.

• Haha  (+1) 1

Nice chowder ingredients. I think I see a clam and some mussels as well as the ammonite. Ammonite is dinner plate size.

Walnut Creek park, Austin.

IMGP4275_1920x1280.jpg

I think the fossils here are Cretaceous. Call it 150 to 66 MYA. Probably spoiled for chowder.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Jonathan Miller, physician, writer, theater and opera director, and member of the Beyond the Fringe conedy group has left the building. Not well known to the youngin's here probably but very well known in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Brilliant man in all respects.

Once did a quite memorable autopsy on TV for a show on the human body.

This was terrifying for the people involved, no doubt, and crushing for the families of the two fatalites. But, God bless the civilians who went after the a-hole with a fire extinguisher and a NARWHAL TUSK! I love the Brits.

Terrifying new footage shows moment hero bystanders armed with a fire extinguisher and a NARWHAL TUSK chase knife-wielding terrorist across London Bridge before he is sprayed with jets of water and grappled to the ground

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7740131/Moment-hero-bystanders-armed-fire-extinguisher-stick-chase-knife-wielding-terrorist.html

Not sure how many of you still keep up with KFC, but Wes has taken a bad turn and reports state that he is not expected to live much longer.  I thought some here may wish to know this sad update.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Sad 2