Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

Well after over a year of cardio and weight work I am below 200, have lost 10 inches, lost 55 pounds, and have gained a goodly amount of muscle mass. Always got a lot of cardio actually, but never found it did much for weight.

Stalled on getting a new wardrobe, but couldn't belt things any tighter. Got 3 pairs of new pants yesterday! Shirts are pretty loose around the stomach too. But I'll go with them.

The best thing is that with all the strength work--especially upper body--I have gotten rid of a ton of pain in shoulder, back, and (referred from back) the ball joint under/inside the butt.  Take zero Celebrex any more and far less CBD. Even can throw a bit which I haven't been able to do in 2 decades. Riding my bike up hill now is 2, even 3, gear ratios higher on the rear sprocket of my 24 speed! Doc has reduced my BP/statin meds as well.

Only down side is a neighbor sorta' sotto voce asked my daughter recently if I'm terminal. I suppose now at my age the answer is yes, but not yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4

On 8/22/2019 at 7:47 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Speaking of birders, I saw a peregrine falcon in flight today! No photo, but he was magnificent...swooping down to grab a grebe, I think. I was at Rocky Mountain NP. 

I think I mentioned this here when it happened: A pod of orcas tore apart a minke whale in front of a whale tour boat here a season or two ago I think it was. Mothers were covering their children's eyes and the men were screaming. I don't think the Disney-raised tourists were really ready for nature in the raw.

You were lucky. I once saw a sparrow hawk or kestrel--tiny little raptor anyway--take down a bluejay off a branch with a beautiful stoop as I was drifting by in a canoe.  The bluejay was as big or bigger than he was. But he hit him pretty hard, knocked him off the branch and fluttered to the ground with his talons locked in and finished him off there. Unforgettable!

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:21 AM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I once saw a sparrow hawk or kestrel--tiny little raptor anyway--take down a bluejay off a branch with a beautiful stoop as I was drifting by in a canoe. 

I would die to see a kestrel. It's on my list. They're around my area, and I think I've been close, but I couldn't positively ID him. We've got some incredible wildlife refuges up here with fantastic birds all year. Many species over-winter here. I'll be sad to leave that behind.

So I just found out that a guy I work pretty closely with got killed riding his bike into work this morning.  Not sure how to process that ...

• Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

So I just found out that a guy I work pretty closely with got killed riding his bike into work this morning.  Not sure how to process that ...

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that. How awful. 

25 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that. How awful. 

It's on the front page of all the local news websites.  They haven't released his name yet, but I guess the police called into the office to get contact information.

7 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

It's on the front page of all the local news websites.  They haven't released his name yet, but I guess the police called into the office to get contact information.

I'm so sorry, Duq. That would be hard for anyone to process. What was it like at your company today?

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm so sorry, Duq. That would be hard for anyone to process. What was it like at your company today?

Weird.  We're all engineers, so we're emotionally stunted as a species anyway.  Tried to go about work, but more quietly than normal.  Looked at each other blankly a lot.

We were working together on a project.  I was in his cube talking to him yesterday afternoon.  He was an avid cyclist.  Usually biked to work when the weather was good.  Very surreal.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

Does anyone still pay using cash?

As much as possible. And I prefer getting paid with it over any other form of payment.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, Rothbardian said:

Does anyone still pay using cash?

As much as I can.  I am convinced I spend less when it is paid in cash.  It is a mind game, but it hurts more to pay in cash and is a deterrent to over spending for me.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, tcudoc said:

As much as I can.  I am convinced I spend less when it is paid in cash.  It is a mind game, but it hurts more to pay in cash and is a deterrent to over spending for me.

I do this, as well. I either use cash or my debit card. Never use credit anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I do this, as well. I either use cash or my debit card. Never use credit anymore.

I don't own a credit card at the moment, other than a Sam's card for gas.  It is all debit card, online bill paying and pay pal attached to my bank account.  This after most of my life has been spent in huge credit card debt.  I have abandoned it for the past 8 years and clawed my way out of student loan debt ($300K), debt from a small family business $100K), and credit card debt >$50K.

My mortgage is the last debt at the current time.  Only buy used cars and pay cash.  We basically use the Dave Ramsey philosophy.  Life is way better that way and we no longer live paycheck to paycheck like we did for most of my life.  Of course, three of four kids are graduated from college and the last one is in his final year of school, so life has gotten decidedly less expensive for us.

I would encourage everyone to get out from under credit cards.  The airline miles and other stuff are not worth the risks in my opinion.  Spending beyond your means becomes too easy.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, tcudoc said:

I don't own a credit card at the moment, other than a Sam's card for gas.  It is all debit card, online bill paying and pay pal attached to my bank account.  This after most of my life has been spent in huge credit card debt.  I have abandoned it for the past 8 years and clawed my way out of student loan debt ($300K), debt from a small family business $100K), and credit card debt >$50K.

My mortgage is the last debt at the current time.  Only buy used cars and pay cash.  We basically use the Dave Ramsey philosophy.  Life is way better that way and we no longer live paycheck to paycheck like we did for most of my life.  Of course, three of four kids are graduated from college and the last one is in his final year of school, so life has gotten decidedly less expensive for us.

I would encourage everyone to get out from under credit cards.  The airline miles and other stuff are not worth the risks in my opinion.  Spending beyond your means becomes too easy.  

Gran consejo Doc, Empecé a seguir ese mismo plan hace más de 20 años.  Me di cuenta de que una casa enorme con un código postal elegante no era para mí.  Mi Jeep me lleva a donde tengo que ir, no tan rápido como un BMW, pero con menos entradas.  Tengo una tarjeta de débito y una tarjeta de crédito en mi billetera.  No he usado mi tarjeta de crédito en 8 a 10 años.  Mi esposa me permite llevar otras 3 tarjetas de crédito que han caducado para que mi billetera no se vea tan vacía [verdad].  Vivir un estilo de vida humilde me permitió retirarme a mediados de mis 50.  Mi casa está pagada, al igual que mis dos vehículos.  ¡Vivir la vida loca!  

Great advice Doc, I started following that same plan 20+ years ago.  I realized that a huge house with a swanky zip code wasn't for me.  My Jeep gets me where I need to go, not as fast as a BMW but with fewer tickets.  I have a debit card and one credit card in my wallet.  I haven't used my credit card in 8 to 10 years.  My wife allows me to carry 3 other credit cards that are expired so my wallet doesn't look so empty [truth].  Living a humble lifestyle allowed me to retire in my mid 50's.  My home is paid for as are my two vehicles.  Living the crazy life!   

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

I don't buy concessions at movies, generally. And I most usually drink water from server-circulated jugs on those occasions I eat out (no loss as that's what I drink at home for meals as well).

I guess that makes me a freeloader on the current business models of both industries.

As well, unlike some of the other advice here, I use a credit card for everything and pay 1/month. I haven't carried a balance for many years. So I guess I'm a freeloader on the bank's business model as well. Paid for my car that way in 2015 but paid of the bill at the end of the month that time as well. Got enough points to see a Frogs game on the cheap.