Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

Was listening to a podcast and the liberal guest referred to the host as an Arachno-Capitalist, which I believe is a matriarchal structure that eats it's mate...

3 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Was listening to a podcast and the liberal guest referred to the host as an Arachno-Capitalist, which I believe is a matriarchal structure that eats it's mate...

With great power comes great responsibility...

• Haha  (+1) 1

At Duquette dance competition number 2 and noticing that many of the girls this year are leaving the stage with a sort of drop foot strut where they kinda drag the top of the trailing foot on the stage.  I'm assuming that this is a tribute to Justin Rogers ...

• Haha  (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I hope none of our Houston TFHers are in Deer Park. This doesn't sound pleasant.

Fire engulfs eight massive petrochemical storage tanks in Houston

A fire at a fuels storage company at the Houston Ship Channel spread on Monday to eight massive petrochemical storage tanks, shutting schools and forcing residents in the suburb of Deer Park to stay indoors.

The fire, which sent a plume of black smoke across the city’s eastern half and was visible from 10 miles (16 km) away, began in a giant storage tank containing naphtha, a volatile component of gasoline, at about 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.

No evacuations or injuries were reported.

School officials in Deer Park, population 32,000, and nearby La Porte, Texas, with about 34,000 residents, suspended classes and told employees not to report to work on Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-energy-houston-fire/fire-engulfs-eight-massive-petrochemical-storage-tanks-in-houston-idUSKCN1QY0ZR?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

On 3/16/2019 at 9:04 AM, Rothbardian said:

This guy puts more people to sleep than I do.

• Haha  (+1) 1

On 3/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, Rothbardian said:

America is already great!

He needs to get back on defense a little quicker...

In the amazing facts I never knew before but just happened to run across department:

I have always known that Gen. John Garland was a collateral relative of mine way back in the 1800s. Died in 1861 (on active duty but not KIA). 

What I never knew is that he was close friends with Longstreet who married his daughter.  To his credit, though a Virginian, Gen Garland remained loyal to his oath and to the Union.

Maybe this is why I have always had an affinity for Longstreet and for his tactical theories of maneuver in warfare which were decades ahead of their time?

Among other things this busy weekend I spent an afternoon at Sci-Fi on the Rock our biggest local con. Many of my former students of course are organizers and I have even volunteered with the organizing from time to time in previous years. 

Met and talked to Dax from DS9 for a while. Nice lady originally from Cedar Rapids, IA. Married to Spock's son Adam Nimoy.

dax.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

St. John's gets many cons, does it? 

11 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

St. John's gets many cons, does it? 

No...2 or 3 a year. Most of the others rise then fail. This one has grown yearly since 2007 until now it it held in the largest hotel venue on the island. The only way to expand further--which may be in the cards at some point--is to hold it in the Convention Centre.

Stefan Kapičić was also around this year, but I'm not a Deadpool fan. There was a very interesting animator who gave some really interesting sessions though I am no artist. An artist friend of my daughter's gave me 3 very good drawings of Tali, Mordin Solus, and Liara (characters familiar to Mass Effect 3 players which happens to be one of the few computer games I really like). 

I am very sorry the musician Nipsey Hussle was murdered. That's tragic for his family, friends, and fans. I may not be the only person who didn't know of him and thought Nipsey Russell had died all over again, however.

16 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I am very sorry the musician Nipsey Hussle was murdered. That's tragic for his family, friends, and fans. I may not be the only person who didn't know of him and thought Nipsey Russell had died all over again, however.

Never heard of the guy, but kudos on the stage name choice.

2 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Hazelnut sandies beat pecan sandies all to hell.

Nuts don't belong in cookies or baked goods in general.  Prove me wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Nut flour is different from whole nuts/nut chunks.

That said, you're wrong in any case.

Proof: If you don't like nuts/chunks try the various German and Austrian tortes using nut flours. Or these cookies.

3 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

That said, you're wrong in any case.

I'll concede the former, but not the latter.

6 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Hazelnut sandies beat pecan sandies all to hell. 

The state nut of Oregon vs the state nut of Texas. That's a toss up for me. I think both are delicious, but the hazelnut tree is trash.

6 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

This is very true.

8 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Duq, Duq, Duq.  We have daughters dancing in competition as something in common, however, you are SO wrong about nuts in baked goods.  Oh my goodness, SO wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zebra Frog said:

Duq, Duq, Duq.  We have daughters dancing in competition as something in common, however, you are SO wrong about nuts in baked goods.  Oh my goodness, SO wrong.

It's a texture thing.  I like (most) nuts.  I like (almost all) baked goods.  But nothing will ruin a gooey brownie faster than a nut.  Banana bread would be great if people would stop insisting nuts belong in it.

If there are nuts, they have to be very small bits or flour.  Nut flour is fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

It's a texture thing.  I like (most) nuts.  I like (almost all) baked goods.  But nothing will ruin a gooey brownie faster than a nut.  Banana bread would be great if people would stop insisting nuts belong in it.

If there are nuts, they have to be very small bits or flour.  Nut flour is fine.

Are you against granola, as well? Just crunchy in general sets you off, is that it?

And speaking of dancing, Duquette just concluded her competition season with a bang, getting some of her best scores ever.  If I can brag for a moment ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Are you against granola, as well? Just crunchy in general sets you off, is that it?

Granola is great. Trail mix is great.  I just don't like it in my chewy. ..

• Upvote (+1) 1