Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Send some money to pdawg. The site only has a very few actual funders.

The reference was to Twitter, but thanks for showing your egocentrism...

All that beautiful Von Erich hair got him in trouble. And the poor ref! My sister was in love with Kevin. Nice trip down memory lane, @frogtwang.

Actresses Huffman, Loughlin among 50 charged in U.S. college fraud scheme

BOSTON (Reuters) - Federal prosecutors charged 50 people on Tuesday in a $25 million scheme to help actresses Felicity Huffman [married to William H. Macy] and Lori Loughlin, CEOs and other wealthy Americans cheat their children’s way into elite universities, including Yale and Stanford.

Federal prosecutors in Boston charged William ‚ÄúRick‚ÄĚ Singer, 58, with running the racketeering scheme through his Edge College & Career Network. His network served a roster of clients including actresses and chief executives in what prosecutors said was the largest-ever college admissions fraud scam unearthed in the United States.

Prosecutors said Singer’s operation arranged for fake testers to take college admissions exams in place of his clients’ children, and also bribed coaches to give admissions slots meant to be reserved for recruited athletes even if the applicants had no athletic ability.

Parents paid from $100,000 to as much as $2.5 million per child for the services, which were masked as contributions to a scam charity Singer runs, prosecutors said.

The scheme began in 2011, prosecutors said, and also helped children get into the University of Texas, Georgetown University, Wake Forest University, the University of Southern California (USC) and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-education-cheating/actresses-huffman-loughlin-among-50-charged-in-u-s-college-fraud-scheme-idUSKBN1QT1WJ?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

32 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Actresses Huffman, Loughlin among 50 charged in U.S. college fraud scheme

The University of Texas said it placed men's tennis coach Michael Center on administrative leave and is cooperating with the investigation

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

The University of Texas said it placed men's tennis coach Michael Center on administrative leave and is cooperating with the investigation

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html 

It boggles my mind that any of these people, but particularly this guy, would feel the need to cheat to get their kid into a university.  I bet UT would have not only let their tennis coach's kid in but probably would have found a way to get him a full-ride scholly.  Unless all of their kids were just colossal dumbasses ...

The weather has been so terrible for so long here this year that I've really been getting out of shape. Basically, to go hiking you need both crampons and snowshoes. Not a good combo, actually. So...for the first time in my life I looked at a fitness center. The one at my old university is very cheap for a prof retiree--$27 Cdn ($20USD) a month. I have always biked, hiked, jogged, and swam. Never have I used an actual fitness machine except a stationary bike. Even in hs we did handstand to headstand pushups rather than use weights as we had no weight room.  Anyway, had a young jock with the nicest extraverted personality (I'm jealous of such people even though they are very fun) show me how to use each and every machine and did a few reps on each. Good Lord, turns out every tiny muscle group needs a $10K machine to work it!!! I really feel like a fossil but with my lower back arthritis I think a number of them can exercise the relevant muscles without further aggravating my lower spine. (I'm getting my CT report for the gratis personal trainer to look at.) And I never knew there were so many ways to get cardio. I always thought that jogging, cycling, swimming, and hiking was the way to do cardio. Boy am I a backwoodsman.

The hot tub with hydrojets was full of a dozen or so 50-65 yr old women (it being work hours), however!!! What could possibly go wrong???

• Haha  (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

It boggles my mind that any of these people, but particularly this guy, would feel the need to cheat to get their kid into a university.  I bet UT would have not only let their tennis coach's kid in but probably would have found a way to get him a full-ride scholly.  Unless all of their kids were just colossal dumbasses ...

First world problems (!!!).

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

The hot tub with hydrojets was full of a dozen or so 50-65 yr old women

Maybe you should go at a different time when the students are there? Really get your money's worth?

10 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Maybe you should go at a different time when the students are there? Really get your money's worth?

No students allowed. They have other facilities.

I suppose the 30s female lawyer crowd is there around 600. Not sure it's worth the effort as that is really, really early.

• Haha  (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I think the coach was taking money to pass kids off as fake athletes and get them in as recruits 

32 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

I think the coach was taking money to pass kids off as fake athletes and get them in as recruits 

I realized that after I posted it, then never went back to correct myself.  As everyone on here should know by now, I'm a dummy, and you should generally ignore anything I say.

But generally the comment stands.  None of these people (i.e., people with lots of money) should have had any problems getting their kids into pretty much any elite school they wanted, even if their kids were dummies.  Universities like people who can pay tuition ...

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

One rowing coach at one school apparently took $400K to attest that just 1 student was an athlete. One wonders what the actual total rakeoff was!

Fun facts: 

The string 314159 occurs at position 176,451 and appears 175 times in the first 200M digits of Pi.
counting from the first digit after the decimal point. The 3. is not counted. 

The string 31415926 occurs at position 50,366,472. This string occurs 3 times in the first 200M digits of Pi.

Pretty meta, huh?!