Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

Bought myself a real set of Japanese chef's knives (8" and 5").

Wow. Unbelievable balance--balance point is BEHIND the ricasso toward the pommel end--point and blade edge seem part of my fingers. Able to use the fast chopping techniques you see on cooking shows easily and not in a forced way like I have to do with my old half-assed Chicago cutlery knives from the 60s (I like them OK enough just off the sharpener+ hand honing, but they just aren't in the same league...these are SEC knives! :o).

Really good knives are a treasure. You don't realize it till you try one after having used shiite knives all your life. I have split fresh killed caribou in half right down the center of the spine, for example, with one of my hunting knives that I happen to like. I can shave easily with my fish filleting knife as well.

1 hour ago, $mooth said:

What brand did you go with?  8" and 5" Chef knives? or did you get a filet or pairing?

Kamosoto chef knives. Not top of the line but more like part of the starting to get pretty darn good line.

VG-10, 67 layer steel or so they say. (As there is only one steel, no damascus pattern is visible so they laser etched one in a bit unnecessarily.) As I said, just plain love the balance, point, and edge.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Kamosoto chef knives. Not top of the line but more like part of the starting to get pretty darn good line.

VG-10, 67 layer steel or so they say. (As there is only one steel, no damascus pattern is visible so they laser etched one in a bit unnecessarily.) As I said, just plain love the balance, point, and edge.

Kamokoto?

4 hours ago, Poison Arrow Frog said:

Kamokoto?

Kamosotu.

Now that my Japanese waterstone has come I was able to put some completely shaving-worthy edges on both knives. Really nice to work with now. Made goose leftover hash this morning from leftovers of Christmas Eve dinner with knife alone and no grinder/food processor in minutes with goose, green peppers, onions, carrots, potatoes, and parsnips. Used goose fat for the cooking oil. Wow! haven't had goose fat to cook with for a while. It's a wonderful fat to cook roots/tubers/veggies with.

Daughter cooked a sweet potato/pecan/brown sugar casserole for Christmas Eve dinner from "The Spruce Eats" https://www.thespruceeats.com/sweet-potato-casserole-with-pecan-topping-3060932 which is worthy of inclusion in any church or Junior League cookbook.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:40 AM, Newbomb Turk said:

I’m at a Catholic funeral.

Jesus did some crunches, man.

As a Catholic by proxy, I wouldn't say ripped Jesus is standard at Catholic churches, but by far the buffest Jesus I've seen was behind the altar at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC ...

Image result for Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception jesus