Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

Had to replace TWO light bulbs this morning :o. Haven't done this for a while. One was my very last incandescent light which was in a very rarely-used, never-occupied corner. The other was one of the very first low-lumen (7W) CFL's ever available that I ever bought--probably 20-25 years ago--and have had in my range hood burning as a nightlight even for most of those years. 

Why people complain about modern lighting is beyond me. Only trouble is I probably will die before any of my LED lighting goes. Might have to replace a few CFLs maybe. 

The only problem I have with the CFLs is that they have to warm up before illuminating at their maximum lumens. I live in a very dark part of the country at this time of the year and my house is surrounded by big trees, so that makes it even darker inside. (Right now it's 7:15am and pitch black outside. Won't be light for another 45 minutes.) It takes about five minutes before the light bulbs are fully bright. This is why I've resisted them, but you can't buy incandescent bulbs here anymore.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

The only problem I have with the CFLs is that they have to warm up before illuminating at their maximum lumens. I live in a very dark part of the country at this time of the year and my house is surrounded by big trees, so that makes it even darker inside. (Right now it's 7:15am and pitch black outside. Won't be light for another 45 minutes.) It takes about five minutes before the light bulbs are fully bright. This is why I've resisted them, but you can't buy incandescent bulbs here anymore.

Use LEDs then. They are instant and far more efficient than even CFLs. Plus the the TCU lighting design program https://finearts.tcu.edu/idfm/academics/areas-of-study/architectural-lighting-design/  needs support!

I've always liked the slowed uptick of light on CFLs in the morning in particular, personally!

Interesting counter-point to the pervasive notion that human population will continue to rise exponentially over the rest of the century ...

The World Might Actually Run Out of People

Lutz has this saying that the most important reproductive organ for human beings is your mind. That if you change how someone thinks about reproduction, you change everything. Based on his analysis, the single biggest effect on fertility is the education of women. The UN has a grim view of Africa. It doesn’t predict much change in terms of fertility over the first quarter of the century. But large parts of African are urbanizing at two times the rate of the global average.  If you go to Kenya today, women have the same elementary education levels as men. As many girls as boys are sitting for graduation exams. So we’re not prepared to predict that Africa will stagnate in rural poverty for the rest of the century.