Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

Roadster is in an Earth-Mars crossing orbit with an apohelion a full AU (Earth-Sun distance) past Mars almost all the way out to Ceres. That Falcon carries a serious kick.

Center core failed to reignite for final slowdown and may have damaged the droneship as well by hitting it at several hundred MPH. SpaceX is not being very talkative about that. Still about the best first launch of such a complex rocket system you're ever gonna see. 2 out of 3 really ain't bad.

Final roaster orbit achieved:

DVZ0h3YW4AIc-9w.jpg

I may or may not have had Commander Hadfield's "Space Oddity" cover playing in the background while I watched the Roadster livestream on Youtube yesterday...

1 hour ago, Mike M. said:

DVYpycaW0AIUw-D.jpg

tumblr_n5ylbtPtnJ1s7cw4jo1_500.gif

It’s The Stig’s Astronaut Cousin!

My eyes just glazed over, but Destin has really cute dimples. 

Being a male anglerfish sounds like a pretty sweet gig.  Latch onto a hot lady fish, let her do all the work ... and I mean ALL the work.

After eluding science for decades, anglerfish have finally been observed mating… and it’s incredibly weird

You have to squint to see it, but that tiny little blob poking out of the female’s belly is actually the male of the species. In the grand scheme of things he serves just one purpose, which is to find a female and deliver his genetic material. He does this by latching on permanently. Once attached, he fertilizes the female while at the same time being absorbed into her body, fusing with his mate and becoming a part of the larger female’s circulatory system. Once attached, the male no longer eats, but instead gains sustenance from the female’s own bloodstream.

I don't see much difference in the human males I've had the "pleasure" of being married to.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Surprisingly, Uranus has significant hydrogen sulfide in its atmosphere and would smell like a really, really bad fart if you put your nose there.

https://www.space.com/40374-uranus-clouds-smell-rotten-eggs.html

I always thought you were foolish to think that Uranus don't stink ...

@AlohaFrog check in! Are you impacted by Kilauea's eruption? Have you felt the earthquakes? Hoping all is well with you and Mrs.Aloha.

This is a gentle reminder for all that when anything newsworthy impacts your area, be it a natural disaster, crime, sports story, good price on blackeyed peas at the Piggly Wiggly, it is imperative that you check in here on TFH to let the rest of know you're ok so we don't worry. Why, you could be crushed in the stampede on aisle 3 to get those peas and we'd never know it if you didn't tell us. Thank you.