Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

This summer the best the US could manage was fourth in the supercomputer arena. China is 1&2 and Switzerland is 3.

The Swiss computer does detailed weather modeling among other things. 

MAGA!

The Daily Mail has been censured and ordered by the Independent Press Standards Organization to which it subscribes to publish a retraction of the story which led Lamar Smith to open hearings to accuse numerous scientists at NOAA of climate data fraud this spring. He even entered the story into the Congressional Record. Part of the retraction states that there was in fact data "manipulation" going on, just that it was in this Murdoch-sourced article (i.e., it was published in his other papers around the globe as well) and not by scientists.

Surely Smith will now feel honor-bound to publicly acknowledge that he wrongly accepted this censured reporting, immediately apologize to the scientists he publicly and in some cases individually accused of data manipulation and fraud from the halls of Congress, realize/admit that the article was in fact itself an example of data manipulation and fraud and immediately place a retraction into the Congressional Record confirming this, and then maybe even open hearings into the rampant dishonest reporting and blogging funded by nonscience sources that is pushing denial very often using ACTUAL clearly "manipulated" data as happened here, right?

Or at least when pigs fly, anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/17/press-regulator-censures-mail-on-sunday-for-global-warming-claims

The DM is good for Royal news, though, and they publish lots of pictures, too. Not on a National Enquirer or TMZ level, but maybe only a couple of steps above. 

Researcher repeatedly terrifies guppies for weeks with fish and bird predators. Guppies show distinct individual personalities. Now looking to see if and/or how personalities are passed down genetically!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/09/25/scientists-spent-a-month-terrifying-guppies-to-prove-that-fish-have-personalities/

photo-illus.jpg

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Great. They've just made a generation of pissed off guppies.

With frickin' laser beams attached?

8 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

They're already ill-tempered.

The one I had was awesome. Trainable. 

12 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Researcher repeatedly terrifies guppies for weeks with fish and bird predators. Guppies show distinct individual personalities. Now looking to see if and/or how personalities are passed down genetically!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/09/25/scientists-spent-a-month-terrifying-guppies-to-prove-that-fish-have-personalities/

photo-illus.jpg

I did the same thing with my kids 

scared-kid-o.gif

Weather maps need to be rewritten again (something like new temperature and precipitation colors have needed to be added lately):

When the Atlantic tropical storm prediction system was set up, no one considered a tropical storm could get east of 1W longitude or north of 60o  N latitude. 

171016_FUTURE_Hurricane01.jpg.CROP.promo

But it appears the prediction grid size needs a bit of increasing! This, of course, is not to say there are any changes in weather patterns occurring.

• Upvote (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Weather maps need to be rewritten again (something like new temperature and precipitation colors have needed to be added lately):

When the Atlantic tropical storm prediction system was set up, no one considered a tropical storm could get east of 1W longitude or north of 60o  N latitude. 

171016_FUTURE_Hurricane01.jpg.CROP.promo

But it appears the prediction grid size needs a bit of increasing! This, of course, is not to say there are any changes in weather patterns occurring.

Sure looks like the Gaels are going to get some gales.

Rock me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 10/1/2017 at 6:19 PM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Jeremy Clarkson interviews Stephen Hawking...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/L_FDFY-SJ-4

You need to click on this link which I used because the top level, embeddable link has a 2 minute commercial. There is no rickroll, only a fascinating interview.

That's not Jeremy Clarkson.  That's the guy Jeremy Clarkson punched, Piers Morgan.  

42 minutes ago, HFrog1999 said:

That's not Jeremy Clarkson.  That's the guy Jeremy Clarkson punched, Piers Morgan.  

Yeah...but all those pretentious Brits all look alike. Who can tell?

19 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Yeah...but all those pretentious Brits all look alike. Who can tell?

True

200.gif

16 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

Researchers from the University of Utah are doing some cool work into looking at the geologic "plumbing system" of Old Faithful.

https://m.phys.org/news/2017-10-faithful-geological-heart-revealed.html

Very interesting. I was always a little worried standing there over such a seismically active area. The eruptions are fascinating, though. I'm anxious to go back. 

In true Trump fashion, I just have to ask "Who knew that Donny Osmond and Jose Iglesias have all their organs reversed? Poor Donny almost died when doctors didn't diagnose appendicitis correctly as the pain was on the "wrong" side!

Catherine O'Hara too.

The condition is rare but does have a name: "situs inversus".

22 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Very interesting. I was always a little worried standing there over such a seismically active area. The eruptions are fascinating, though. I'm anxious to go back. 

Nah you have nothing to worry about. Well, at least for now anyways:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

• Haha  (+1) 1

Yesterday was Hedy Lamarr's 103rd birthday. Developed spread spectrum and frequency hopping tech during WW2 (after getting bored with Hollywood???). 

You can blame much current Internet tech on extensions of her ideas.

An interesting tidbit in the tax "cut" bill is to label graduate tuition remission as income. This will effectively wipe out graduate science--the main user of this tax provision--if it goes through. Few current grad students at TCU for example would be able to afford the additional tax out of their assistantships as it would amount to many thousands of dollars. It's certainly a "cut", all right. Just not a monetary one.

Of course who needs science-educated people around anyway when there's inherited wealth that needs rewarding?!