Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

8 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

What time do you get the show? How much obscuration?

Our show is from 1-4 pm with peak obscuration at 80% around 2:30.  If the clouds stay away ...

I tested my glasses out with a brief 5-second look at the sun and it was pretty dim and comfortable, so hopefully mine are good ...

14 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I tested my glasses out with a brief 5-second look at the sun and it was pretty dim and comfortable, so hopefully mine are good

You'll find out soon if your retina is fried. 

Pretty weird. I can see why long-ago people were totally freaked out by this. 

The sun is a perfect one-third crescent right now. Way cool!

The temperature has teally dropped. About 15 degrees cooler now than before it started, I'd say. 

OK....I'm good for 6 1/2 years.

Sky seems slightly darker.  Temp isnt that noticeable.  The shadows cast by the trees is kinda cool - you can see the crescents on the ground.  Some contractor was trying to take a picture on his phone.  Except you cant tell the difference in the sun unprotected.

7 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

OK....I'm good for 6 1/2 years.

Sky seems slightly darker.  Temp isnt that noticeable.  The shadows cast by the trees is kinda cool - you can see the crescents on the ground.  Some contractor was trying to take a picture on his phone.  Except you cant tell the difference in the sun unprotected.

That one comes here. Not quite st. John's, but only a few miles to the west.

Staring at the sky with a welding helmet on felt more odd than the event I was watching. The upside is that the thick layer of smoke in the sky didn't seem to matter. 

The coolest part wasn't the actual event but the day-for-night filming technique in the real world, not just on a movie screen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Staring at the sky with a welding helmet on felt more odd than the event I was watching. The upside is that the thick layer of smoke in the sky didn't seem to matter. 

The coolest part wasn't the actual event but the day-for-night filming technique in the real world, not just on a movie screen.

How much obscuration did you get? I got 99.6%. It didn't get totally dark; I would have been able to read a book with no problem. But, there was a freaky shadowy thing going on. It was really cool. Glad I got some glasses to see it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

How much obscuration did you get? I got 99.6%. It didn't get totally dark; I would have been able to read a book with no problem. But, there was a freaky shadowy thing going on. It was really cool. Glad I got some glasses to see it.

I am not sure what the exact amount was, but the halo was mostly filled. Probably in the lower 90s percentile. 

I am more thankful for finding a use for the welding helmet (most of my welding is done with sunglasses on using the oxygen/acetylene method, not stick).

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I am not sure what the exact amount was, but the halo was mostly filled. Probably in the lower 90s percentile. 

I am more thankful for finding a use for the welding helmet (most of my welding is done with sunglasses on using the oxygen/acetylene method, not stick).

Hope you used at least a #13. 

8 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

That was awesome.  Hard to describe but a total eclipse is something to experience 1st hand.

People were shooting off fireworks around me. There was a collective "Woooo!" at the max. Did you get 100% in Nebraska?