Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

3 minutes ago, RedHill said:

Damn!   That's shaking in your shoes crazy!  

Was out fishing this morning and was totally surrounded by a half a dozen whales feeding on the capelin (smelt-like fish that come inshore this time of year). Caught my limit, but had to pull in my line several times as whales went under the boat and I didn't want to snag a whale on my jig. Caught one that was bigger than the one your cousin got.

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Was out fishing this morning and was totally surrounded by a half a dozen whales feeding on the capelin (smelt-like fish that come inshore this time of year). Caught my limit, but had to pull in my line several times as whales went under the boat and I didn't want to snag a whale on my jig. Caught one that was bigger than the one your cousin got.

Can you hear the whales talking when they're near you like that?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/01/facebook-shuts-robots-invent-language/

Facebook shut down a pair of its artificial intelligence robots after they invented their own, creepy language.

Researchers at Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research built a chatbot earlier this year that was meant to learn how to negotiate by mimicking human trading and bartering.

8113854_atlas-is-done-taking-your-bullsh

2 minutes ago, Hfrog1999 said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/01/facebook-shuts-robots-invent-language/

Facebook shut down a pair of its artificial intelligence robots after they invented their own, creepy language.

Researchers at Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research built a chatbot earlier this year that was meant to learn how to negotiate by mimicking human trading and bartering.

8113854_atlas-is-done-taking-your-bullsh

I've talked to Mark about this. His understanding of the subject is limited.

In Breakthrough, Scientists Edit a Dangerous Mutation From Genes in Human Embryos

Scientists for the first time have successfully edited genes in human embryos to repair a common and serious disease-causing mutation, producing apparently healthy embryos, according to a study published on Wednesday.

The research marks a major milestone and, while a long way from clinical use, it raises the prospect that gene editing may one day protect babies from a variety of hereditary conditions.

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

In Breakthrough, Scientists Edit a Dangerous Mutation From Genes in Human Embryos

Scientists for the first time have successfully edited genes in human embryos to repair a common and serious disease-causing mutation, producing apparently healthy embryos, according to a study published on Wednesday.

The research marks a major milestone and, while a long way from clinical use, it raises the prospect that gene editing may one day protect babies from a variety of hereditary conditions.

Done right here in Portland at Oregon Health and Science University. 

Just bought me a 5-pack of eclipse glasses from Amazon.  Which has guaranteed that it will be overcast and rainy all day that day ...

13 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Just bought me a 5-pack of eclipse glasses from Amazon.  Which has guaranteed that it will be overcast and rainy all day that day ...

Were the glasses made by robots?

4 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Were the glasses made by robots?

I'm sure.  I hope they deem me and my family worthy of continued sightedness after August 21st ...

Government Report Finds Drastic Impact of Climate Change on U.S.

The average temperature in the United States has risen rapidly and drastically since 1980, and recent decades have been the warmest of the past 1,500 years, according to a sweeping federal climate change report awaiting approval by the Trump administration.

The draft report by scientists from 13 federal agencies, which has not yet been made public, concludes that Americans are feeling the effects of climate change right now. It directly contradicts claims by President Trump and members of his cabinet who say that the human contribution to climate change is uncertain, and that the ability to predict the effects is limited.

“Evidence for a changing climate abounds, from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the oceans,” a draft of the report states. A copy of it was obtained by The New York Times.

The authors note that thousands of studies, conducted by tens of thousands of scientists, have documented climate changes on land and in the air. “Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate change,” they wrote.

31 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Government Report Finds Drastic Impact of Climate Change on U.S.

The average temperature in the United States has risen rapidly and drastically since 1980, and recent decades have been the warmest of the past 1,500 years, according to a sweeping federal climate change report awaiting approval by the Trump administration.

The draft report by scientists from 13 federal agencies, which has not yet been made public, concludes that Americans are feeling the effects of climate change right now. It directly contradicts claims by President Trump and members of his cabinet who say that the human contribution to climate change is uncertain, and that the ability to predict the effects is limited.

“Evidence for a changing climate abounds, from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the oceans,” a draft of the report states. A copy of it was obtained by The New York Times.

The authors note that thousands of studies, conducted by tens of thousands of scientists, have documented climate changes on land and in the air. “Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate change,” they wrote.

Will be "thoroughly debunked" by deniers by this afternoon and the "leakers" will be accused of risking national security even though it has been available publicly for a good while (though not in a very govt-publicized place).

The greatest solar eclipse in American history is headed straight for us, but the kids will play on.

The Little League World Series has plans for the event, which will be the first in Series history, even though the path of totality will pass south of its Williamsport, Pennsylvania, location on the afternoon of Aug. 21.

Still, even a partial solar eclipse must be respected, so organizers plan to hand out about 30,000 pairs of glasses, certified by the American Association of Ophthalmology as safe for looking at the sun, to fans who enter the complex. Players and managers also will be given the glasses, which will not be worn on the field, Little League spokesman Kevin Fountain told PennLive.com.

Both the Howard J. Lamade and Volunteer stadiums are lighted, so officials plan to turn on the lights to allow play to continue when the eclipse begins in central Pennsylvania at around 12:14 p.m. CT. It will reach the point of greatest darkness there at around 1:38 p.m., winding up at around 2:56 p.m.

There'll be a full slate of games on Aug. 21, beginning at 11 a.m. The tournament runs Aug. 17-27.

And if it rains, well, that's another matter.

On 8/13/2017 at 5:06 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Did you buy your eclipse glasses from Amazon? Check your email. 

Amazon recalls glasses 9 days before total solar eclipse
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/amazon_recalls_glasses_9_days.html

Makes me feel better about skipping amazon and finding a site off of the AAS list.  Spent a little more, but I was worried about the authenticity of the ISO certificates on the amazon sales.

Friend of my wife owns a vacation place in Idaho, and he's driving up there now for the eclipse.  He also rented a parking place where he and his friends will be tailgating the eclipse.

2 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Friend of my wife owns a vacation place in Idaho, and he's driving up there now for the eclipse.  He also rented a parking place where he and his friends will be tailgating the eclipse.

I didn't realize Idaho was going to get much obscuration. How much is he expecting?

Oregon State, among a great number of other large and small locations, is renting parking spaces near the path of totality. You can sleep in your car overnight, but no camping. They are providing porta-potties. 

There's so far only been one guy looking for a woman to make an Eclipse Baby with. He's advertising on Craigslist. 

8 hours ago, $mooth said:

Makes me feel better about skipping amazon and finding a site off of the AAS list.  Spent a little more, but I was worried about the authenticity of the ISO certificates on the amazon sales.

Great. I'm sure it's because I posted this, I got an order cancellation email. Their supplier didn't get them the glasses in time. 

59 minutes ago, $mooth said:

Great. I'm sure it's because I posted this, I got an order cancellation email. Their supplier didn't get them the glasses in time. 

#14 welding glass is safe.