Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

Newf, did you see the aurora last night? Boston, looks like you might have some action, too. Feeling Froggy, Jared, other Chicago Frogs, who else? One more chance tonight. I'm slightly too far south, dang it.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g2-moderate-geomagnetic-storm-watch-issued-valid-16-17-jul-2017

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Newf, did you see the aurora last night? Boston, looks like you might have some action, too. Feeling Froggy, Jared, other Chicago Frogs, who else? One more chance tonight. I'm slightly too far south, dang it.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g2-moderate-geomagnetic-storm-watch-issued-valid-16-17-jul-2017

SquidFest was on with fireworks out in the country at the marina, and I was busy filleting and clewing up in any case. So no, I missed any.

SquidFest2.jpg

3 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Squidfest was on with tireworks out in the country at the marina, and I was busy filleting and clewing up. So no, I missed any.

tumblr_nj89x8lWKO1s02vreo1_250.gif

14 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I caught it the other night, but initially thought it was moonlight filtering through the clouds. Went outside to take a break from burying myself in my work later on and it was much clearer (less cloud cover) and obviously not the moon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Has everyone been paying attention to the shots coming back from Juno of Jupiter?  If not, you should be ...

Space.comScience & Astronomy Great Red Spot, Spotted! Citizens Create Incredible Images of Jupiter Storm

The original photo is by far the most beautiful. 

This eclipse is going to be a nightmare around here. State officials expect one million extra people to squeeze into the 60 mile-wide path of totality just south of Portland. The worst part will be when they all try to leave on the little bitty two-lane roads. 

Beware this Oregon solar eclipse side effect: traffic
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/07/beware_this_oregon_solar_eclip.html

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

This eclipse is going to be a nightmare around here. State officials expect one million extra people to squeeze into the 60 mile-wide path of totality just south of Portland. The worst part will be when they all try to leave on the little bitty two-lane roads. 

Beware this Oregon solar eclipse side effect: traffic
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/07/beware_this_oregon_solar_eclip.html

We're getting an 80% eclipse here.  

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

This link tells you how much eclipse you'll see based on zip code: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

That's interesting because the link says here in my Portland zip code the obscuration (I didn't know that was a word) will be 99.7%. The local weather people have been saying it will be only 92-95%. Since they should be getting the information from the same source, NASA, I wonder who's right. 

32 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

It's interesting that they don't mention the age/gender break down of the participants. I didn't see it looking at the study's abstract, either. It's also interesting that the guy decided to do the study in the first place after his wife had a baby using midwives and, apparently, no pain medication. Bet she had some choice words to say to him. 

Im pretty skeptical of any study ascribing intelligence or a lack thereof to a particular trait or belief.  Ive known smart and stupid cussers.  My experience is that it's very cultural ... If you are around cussers, you will cuss more.  I work at a place where cussing is rampant and I've definitely noticed it picking up in frequency in my speech.  And I work with pretty smart people.

Standards, people. Standards are important and we have them here.

If you've never seen a humpback whale pooping... well now you have! I was drifting here and afraid to put the engine in gear as the whale was very close to the boat. Normally I would never get so close to one. (I was pooping as well as I never meant to get this close.)

IMGP2214.jpg

3 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Now?

IMGP2214.jpg

Nope.

I started working on a blog post and noticed that I couldnt post pics the way I did before.  Another software update issue? 

33 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Nope.

I started working on a blog post and noticed that I couldnt post pics the way I did before.  Another software update issue? 

How about now???

IMGP2214.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

How about now???

IMGP2214.jpg

Wow! I think that's a little too close for comfort, but what an amazing shot!