Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

You shoot a cannonball at some significant angle. The path it follows (neglecting wind resistance) is best described as  __________.

awesome

You shoot a cannonball at some significant angle. The path it follows (neglecting wind resistance) is best described as  __________.

terrifying, if you are the other end of it?

On the other hand, if you want to shoot a cannonball at your significant angle, the relationship is in trouble anyway...

On the other hand, if you want to shoot a cannonball at your significant angle, the relationship is in trouble anyway...

Quit being obtuse.

So... no drag?  Damn, I just ordered a Johnny Weir necklace and a feather boa.

Well THIS takes all the fun out of the upcoming season...

If a projectile such as a baseball travels in a parabolic path, with negligible air resistance, and if a player is positioned so as to catch it as it descends, he sees its angle of elevation increasing continuously throughout its flight. The tangent of the angle of elevation is proportional to the time since the ball was sent into the air, usually by being struck with a bat. Even when the ball is really descending, near the end of its flight, its angle of elevation seen by the player continues to increase. The player therefore sees it as if it were ascending vertically at constant speed. Finding the place from which the ball appears to rise steadily helps the player to position himself correctly to make the catch. If he is too close to the batter who has hit the ball, it will appear to rise at an accelerating rate. If he is too far from the batter, it will appear to slow rapidly, and then to descend.

Well THIS takes all the fun out of the upcoming season...

If a projectile such as a baseball travels in a parabolic path, with negligible air resistance, and if a player is positioned so as to catch it as it descends, he sees its angle of elevation increasing continuously throughout its flight. The tangent of the angle of elevation is proportional to the time since the ball was sent into the air, usually by being struck with a bat. Even when the ball is really descending, near the end of its flight, its angle of elevation seen by the player continues to increase. The player therefore sees it as if it were ascending vertically at constant speed. Finding the place from which the ball appears to rise steadily helps the player to position himself correctly to make the catch. If he is too close to the batter who has hit the ball, it will appear to rise at an accelerating rate. If he is too far from the batter, it will appear to slow rapidly, and then to descend.

But it does NOT travel in a parabolic path. That is the interesting part.

You went and saved the best for last ...

If the snow comes down in June this year, I'm going full out apeshit.

If the snow comes down in June this year, I'm going full out apeshit.

I don't remember Vanessa singing it quite that way ...

[...cartoon...]

At advanced navigation class last night a pretty technical study of tides came up. I was reminded of Bill O'Reilly's ...

bf579a4ff32285af86b554bcb241788ae45f6938

As a result, I forwarded to o'reilly@foxnews.com the following NOAA link: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/publications/Understanding_Tides_by_Steacy_finalFINAL11_30.pdf. Really.

It's really fascinating and only 83 pages long. I really do commend it to anyone seeking to know how to explain why the tides come in and the tides go out.

My brother wrote a tide prediction program on the old VIC 20 for a middle school science fair project. It was pretty cool. We were living in Hawaii at the time so tides were very important.

My brother wrote a tide prediction program on the old VIC 20 for a middle school science fair project. It was pretty cool. We were living in Hawaii at the time so tides were very important.

Ah...the VIC 20.  With the cassette tape storage and the ahead of their time graphics.

Ah...the VIC 20.  With the cassette tape storage and the ahead of their time graphics.

He also wrote a program that would covert Morse code to text, so we would read news reports out of Cuba as kids...

He also wrote a program that would covert Morse code to text, so we would read news reports out of Cuba as kids...

Wow, that's nerdy and badass at the same time...

True story:

My brother is a nerdy badass, he speaks Japanese, he's a black-belt in karate, he fences like NFFF, he teaches sailing, he is learning arial fabric acrobatics, a little gay but whatever...

When we were young my parents would drive him to RSF's favorite place every weekend to by parts for him to build whatever electrical contraption he was working on.  He would repair every single small appliance in the house, the neighborhood girls would bring their curling irons over for him to fix, you get the picture.  When he turend 16 and got his drivers license he decided that he would, in his maiden voyage alone in the car, drive to RS to buy some new parts...he had to ask for directions...let me repeat, the only store he ever wanted to go to every freaking weekend of his young life and he did not know how to get there...that's freakin' nerdy badass!

http://news.yahoo.com/quiet-efficient-39-space-elevators-39-really-172530158.html

Is it time to push the "up" button on the space elevator?

space elevator consisting of an Earth-anchored tether that extends 62,000 miles (100,000 kilometers) into space could eventually provide routine, safe, inexpensive and quiet access to orbit, some researchers say.

A new assessment of the concept has been pulled together titled "Space Elevators: An Assessment of the Technological Feasibility and the Way Forward." The study was conducted by a diverse collection of experts from around the world under the auspices of the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA). [Quiz: Sci-Fi vs. Real Technology]

http://news.yahoo.com/quiet-efficient-39-space-elevators-39-really-172530158.html

Is it time to push the "up" button on the space elevator?

space elevator consisting of an Earth-anchored tether that extends 62,000 miles (100,000 kilometers) into space could eventually provide routine, safe, inexpensive and quiet access to orbit, some researchers say.

A new assessment of the concept has been pulled together titled "Space Elevators: An Assessment of the Technological Feasibility and the Way Forward." The study was conducted by a diverse collection of experts from around the world under the auspices of the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA). [Quiz: Sci-Fi vs. Real Technology]

Willy Wonka was so ahead of his time.