Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

Duq: Have you ever tried to impress girls with Ramanujan's proof that the sum of the natural number is -1/12?

Construct the infinite series c and 4c then set them into the following 1:1 correspondence. Then, subtract to get a series for -3c

5c226ff45d4f66fe391edae03fe788f2.png

You then note that the obtained series happens to have a solution  as it resembles the power series expansion of the function 1/(1 + x)2 with 1 substituted for x, so:...

001e9ba9c374f71e4bbcbc2377d9e465.png

Solving for c you get -1/12.

The weirdest thing of all is that this expression actually ends up having a physical meaning in string theory and quantum mechanics.

And good old Euler, of course, also proved this another way.

Anyway, this theorem does not violate any basic rules of math like your 1=0 example. Plus you get the time to get into deeper communion with said girl as you go through the various infinite series.

Duq: Have you ever tried to impress girls with Ramanujan's proof that the sum of the natural number is -1/12?

Construct the infinite series c and 4c then set them into the following 1:1 correspondence. Then, subtract to get a series for -3c

5c226ff45d4f66fe391edae03fe788f2.png

You then note that the obtained series happens to have a solution  as it resembles the power series expansion of the function 1/(1 + x)2 with 1 substituted for x, so:...

001e9ba9c374f71e4bbcbc2377d9e465.png

Solving for c you get -1/12.

The weirdest thing of all is that this expression actually ends up having a physical meaning in string theory.

And good old Euler, of course, also proved this another way.

Anyway, this theorem does not violate any basic rules of math like your 1=0 example. Plus you get the time to get into deeper communion with said girl as you go through the various infinite series.

Most people just stay up all night to get lucky.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2545465/Forget-global-warming-worry-MAGNETOSPHERE-Earths-magnetic-field-collapsing-affect-climate-wipe-power-grids.html

Deep within the Earth, a fierce molten core is generating a magnetic field capable of defending our planet against devastating solar winds.

The protective field extends thousands of miles into space and its magnetism affects everything from global communication to animal migration and weather patterns.

But this magnetic field, so important to life on Earth, has weakened by 15 per cent over the last 200 years. And this, scientists claim, could be a sign that the Earth’s poles are about to flip.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2545465/Forget-global-warming-worry-MAGNETOSPHERE-Earths-magnetic-field-collapsing-affect-climate-wipe-power-grids.html#ixzz2rdWopMqJ 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://news.yahoo.com/300-000-old-caveman-39-campfire-39-found-152628371.html

A newly discovered hearth full of ash and charred bone in a cave in modern-day Israel hints that early humans sat around fires as early as 300,000 years ago — before Homo sapiens arose in Africa.

In and around the hearth, archaeologists say they also found bits of stone tools that were likely used for butchering and cutting animals.

The finds could shed light on a turning point in the development of culture "in which humans first began to regularly use fire both for cooking meat and as a focal point — a sort of campfire — for social gatherings," said archaeologist Ruth Shahack-Gross of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. [10 Things that Make Humans Special]

I think human culture is much older and has been more sophisticated than we currently know.  It seems that with every passing year archeologists discover older civilizations.   

I'm giving my dog a compass so he doesn't have to wander around trying to find the north and south poles...

So if a dog's chasing his tail, is that a sign of the Earth's magnetic poles flipping and our impending doom?!?!?!!?

http://news.yahoo.com/300-000-old-caveman-39-campfire-39-found-152628371.html

A newly discovered hearth full of ash and charred bone in a cave in modern-day Israel hints that early humans sat around fires as early as 300,000 years ago — before Homo sapiens arose in Africa.

In and around the hearth, archaeologists say they also found bits of stone tools that were likely used for butchering and cutting animals.

The finds could shed light on a turning point in the development of culture "in which humans first began to regularly use fire both for cooking meat and as a focal point — a sort of campfire — for social gatherings," said archaeologist Ruth Shahack-Gross of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. [10 Things that Make Humans Special]

I think human culture is much older and has been more sophisticated than we currently know.  It seems that with every passing year archeologists discover older civilizations.   

Not possible.

Earth's only 6000 years old.

I had a twin in a few of my mom's early sonograms. I must have been hungry because he didn't make it.

Somehow, I knew you've killed before.

scared-makeup-gif.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2551816/The-weird-wobbly-world-Nasas-Kepler-space-telescope.html

Think our weather is odd? Nasa finds weird, wildly wobbly world where seasons change by the day

Seasons change by the day?  They should name that planet Texas. 

I'm not sure scribe can do that body justice ...

Well she hasn't aged real well, so less pressure now...

weird-kelly.jpg

Wow. That's disheartening ...

They should have built her out of materials that would hold up better over the long haul...