Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

@AlohaFrog check in! Are you impacted by Kilauea's eruption? Have you felt the earthquakes? Hoping all is well with you and Mrs.Aloha.

This is a gentle reminder for all that when anything newsworthy impacts your area, be it a natural disaster, crime, sports story, good price on blackeyed peas at the Piggly Wiggly, it is imperative that you check in here on TFH to let the rest of know you're ok so we don't worry. Why, you could be crushed in the stampede on aisle 3 to get those peas and we'd never know it if you didn't tell us. Thank you.

That is 200 miles away and has not impacted us in any way.  But thank you for worrying.  :)

2 hours ago, AlohaFrog said:

That is 200 miles away and has not impacted us in any way.  But thank you for worrying.  :)

Happy to hear it! I didn't think you were getting any lava or serious impact, but thought maybe the smoke and ash was coming toward you. Good to hear otherwise. 😘

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Of course now he needs to tell us the earthquake didn't hurt him. Or so we hope.

Although big, it doesn't sound like it was too destructive. Things are definitely heating up over there, though. 

On 9/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Trump appoints another science-denying Oklahoman politician  without any science background to science position. Bridenstine to head NASA.

https://www.cnet.com/news/trump-pick-nasa-head-controversy-gop-congressman-bridenstine/

He would be the very first appointee to not have high level science, engineering, or areospace industry credentials ever appointed to this position as well as the first politician. Here is a list of former appointees. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Administrators_and_Deputy_Administrators_of_NASA  His credentials are simply pathetic in comparison to everyone on the list even before we consider his science denial. 

"The National Climate Assessment that includes NASA, and it includes the Department of Energy and it includes NOAA, has clearly stated it is extremely likely -- is the language they use -- that human activity is the dominant cause of global warming," Bridenstine said.
"I have no reason to doubt the science that comes from that," he added.
Schatz then asked Bridenstine if he agreed "with the scientific consensus, which includes many NASA researchers, that the climate is changing and humans are the leading cause.
Bridenstine again said he did, and, when asked by Schatz, agreed that it was accurate to call it an evolution of his views. He also said, when asked by Schatz, that he would commit to funding, independence and integrity of climate science at NASA "without question."
Schatz thanked Bridenstine for his answers and said he wanted to recognize the administrator's "evolution on this issue."

15 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

"The National Climate Assessment that includes NASA, and it includes the Department of Energy and it includes NOAA, has clearly stated it is extremely likely -- is the language they use -- that human activity is the dominant cause of global warming," Bridenstine said.

One step forward, two steps back ...

Reporters barred from Day 2 of EPA summit

Journalists from The Associated Press, Politico and other outlets said EPA staff at the agency's Washington, D.C., headquarters blocked them from entering Administrator Scott Pruitt's National Leadership Summit on per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) on Wednesday. EPA communications staff had told news outlets in advance that the sessions would be closed to journalists.

The decision to ban reporters follows a high-profile incident Tuesday in which an AP reporter, Ellen Knickmeyer, was allegedly shoved by an EPA guard when she tried to enter the event.

3 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

"I have no reason to doubt the science that comes from that," he added.
Schatz then asked Bridenstine if he agreed "with the scientific consensus, which includes many NASA researchers, that the climate is changing and humans are the leading cause.
Bridenstine again said he did, and, when asked by Schatz, agreed that it was accurate to call it an evolution of his views. He also said, when asked by Schatz, that he would commit to funding, independence and integrity of climate science at NASA "without question."
Schatz thanked Bridenstine for his answers and said he wanted to recognize the administrator's "evolution on this issue."

He says he accepts the scientific consensus on evolution and climate???  How the hell did he get appointed?

added: I also note his "evolution" is rather fast. Only last November his operative truth was: “It’s going to depend on a lot of factors, and we’re still learning more about that every day.”

I can't stand Brian Schatz.  He's not quite as bad as our other senator, Crazy Hirono, but he's bad enough.  I'm going to be sure to increase my carbon footprint just to annoy Schatz.  Maybe take the long route to the rifle range, where I'll shoot my AR-15. 

37 minutes ago, AlohaFrog said:

I can't stand Brian Schatz.  He's not quite as bad as our other senator, Crazy Hirono, but he's bad enough.  I'm going to be sure to increase my carbon footprint just to annoy Schatz.  Maybe take the long route to the rifle range, where I'll shoot my AR-15. 

Would you buy a Volt to annoy Cruz?!

Oh, boy. 😟

The next time there's a large earthquake in India, you should consider pulling out your emergency kit. The reason: Newly published research indicates that big earthquakes can trigger other big quakes -- on the other side of the world. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/08/large_earthquakes_can_trigger.html

In the "who says science doesn't move fast" department:

Jocelyn Bell Burnell--who was overlooked by the Nobel Committee for forcing her major professor to believe her observations and her interpretation of them as extrasolar signals and then awarded HIM a Nobel in 1974 for the discovery of pulsars--won a $3 million dollar physics prize for the discovery this week. She is donating all of it to support other minority/underrepresented students in physics. 

Of course in the intervening years she has won/earned just about every other possible scientific honor open to her, and she has been knighted. So I guess she can blow off the Nobel Committee snub.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/sep/06/jocelyn-bell-burnell-british-astrophysicist-overlooked-by-nobels-3m-award-pulsars

On 8/2/2018 at 10:14 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Oh, boy. 😟

The next time there's a large earthquake in India, you should consider pulling out your emergency kit. The reason: Newly published research indicates that big earthquakes can trigger other big quakes -- on the other side of the world. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2018/08/large_earthquakes_can_trigger.html

It's probably the vindaloo...