Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

COVID19 Thread

On 3/16/2020 at 6:50 AM, Newbomb Turk said:

Anybody have any predictions?

Parents won't balk at school bond votes which include raising teachers' salaries after homeschooling for a couple of months.

• Haha  (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

PD so sorry to hear you've been sick.  I hope you start feeling better soon.  Scary, scary stuff.  We love you lady, take care of yourself.

We are hunkering down here.  I've heard rumors the Governor is putting the state on full lockdown this week, but don't know if it's true or not.  We are both working from home and are grateful we get to do so.  Not everyone is that lucky.  I just ordered a TON of stuff to be delivered from Home Depot so I can do a bunch of yard projects.  

Think the hubby is shutting down me going to the grocery store because of my asthma.  He's right but it's hard enough cooking with the limited supplies we have now...what do I do when he comes home from shopping with half of the wrong things?????

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Harvey Weinstein has COVID. The present thinking is he brought it to prison rather than catching it there.

Prisons allow no social distancing.  It will be worse than a cruise ship.

Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic

The grocer started communicating with Chinese counterparts in January and was running tabletop simulations a few weeks later. (But nothing prepared it for the rush on toilet paper.) 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-prepared-coronavirus-pandemic/

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic

The grocer started communicating with Chinese counterparts in January and was running tabletop simulations a few weeks later. (But nothing prepared it for the rush on toilet paper.) 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-prepared-coronavirus-pandemic/

I thought that no one in any decision-making capacity knew back in Jan that they should prepare. We have been assured about this from the very top.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This guy is awesome! The Commanding General of the Army Corps of Engineers. At last some effective leadership! The entire interview was quality. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

This guy is awesome! The Commanding General of the Army Corps of Engineers. At last some effective leadership! The entire interview was quality. 

Yeah. Note all the dissembling, the inaccuracies, the shirking of any responsibility, etc.

45 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Not sure if it's still true (AFF surely knows) but the CoE tends to draw top academy grads at least early in their careers. Lee, for example, long ago, but many subsequent chiefs of staffs in the last many decades as well.

16 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Not sure if it's still true (AFF surely knows) but the CoE tends to draw top academy grads at least early in their careers. Lee, for example, long ago, but many subsequent chiefs of staffs in the last many decades as well.

I am not sure of the statistics on that.  Pre-9/11, it was certainly popular among some of the eggheads, but so were aviation, army, and even infantry.  Once everyone started deploying, that may have changed to make it even more popular.

Well, COVID-19 finally got real.  Got word tonight a pledge brother from TCU is in Plano Baylor hospital in ICU, and is critical.  Really a good guy.  

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Well, COVID-19 finally got real.  Got word tonight a pledge brother from TCU is in Plano Baylor hospital in ICU, and is critical.  Really a good guy.  

I'm sorry, Zebra. I hope he pulls through.

Even though Louisiana is hot with it and everyone knows it's already all over Texas, the governor refuses to acknowledge the fact and restrict the public's movement in the state. Just this morning the NY Times reports that Seattle's early intervention with shutting down the public's movement around the area might have been the key to their reduction in the number of new cases being reported now. Piecemeal quarantines don't work, especially in a place as mobile as Texas. I know we're a hardheaded bunch of folks who come from there, but one person is all it takes for somebody else to wind up in the ICU.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a very interesting strategy. It could identify people who are immune to the virus and who then could be put to work helping the rest of us in various ways, if appropriate.

(Also, I like this journal a lot for good health and science reporting.)

Scientists are starting to roll out new blood tests for the coronavirus, a key development that, unlike the current diagnostic tests, will help pinpoint people who are immune and reveal the full scope of the pandemic.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/27/serological-tests-reveal-immune-coronavirus/

This is really important. I hope everyone is eating well to keep their immune systems healthy, including lots of dark leafy greens and berries. Cut down on the booze and refined sugars, too. The article also has other good advice about keeping healthy.

Watch your diet. Stick to a healthful, balanced diet filled with lots of colorful fruits and vegetables to ensure you’re getting enough zinc and vitamin D and other important vitamins and minerals. Most experts say you should be able to get enough of these vitamins and minerals through your diet, and extra supplementation isn’t necessary. But because vitamin D deficiency is relatively common, experts do recommend supplementation if levels are low.

Dr. Bradley recommends eating lots of dark green, leafy vegetables and berries, as well as nuts and seeds, and to minimize foods with sugar and trans fats, which aren’t as nutrient-dense.

Your immune system needs fuel, so avoid ultralow-carbohydrate diets, experts say. In addition, drink lots of water and reduce alcohol consumption, which can disrupt your sleep.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facts-and-myths-about-boosting-your-immune-system-11584050588?mod=wsjtwittertest19

😲 Now I'm glad there was no test available a few weeks ago when my doctor wanted one for me. Wowza!