Sign in to follow this  
Frogfaninbedford

Old farsses stories

Since I detect that most on here are chronologically gifted, and it's off-season for football, and the men's basketball team is struggling more each game, and baseball hasn't started yet....How about identifying your favorite football, basketball, or baseball game either as an on-site spectator or a televiewer....Win or lose....Why is it your favorite in memory?

Nostalgically, I would say 1956, TCU vs. UT...six years old, my first game to attend (grandpa used me as the excuse to go to the game)...beat the Horns 46-0....As for over-all impact, of course the Rose Bowl and the roar the outnumbered Frog fans let out when we got the first down that sealed the deal....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Three home games stand out to me. 

Losing to Arkansas in 1979 16-13.  The Frogs came together that game and played lights out only to lost by 3.  Lou Holtz visited the Frogs locker room afterwards congratulating the team on a well played game.

Losing to Texas by 65 points in the snow 1974.  We sucked big time.  I was removed from the game for throwing snowballs at Darrell Royal

The 2009 Utah game.  Nuff said

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

TCU over Mississippi State last year at the Indoor Nationals in Chi-town because Rybo beat #1 Nuno Borges and...  Oh wait - you excluded tennis!  Okay, I'll go with the 1998 Sun Bowl over USC (I was there) and the 2010 Rose Bowl over Wisconsin and the 1977 win over Rice in the rain (breaking a 20-game losing streak).  In baseball, I'd go with the W over Florida State at the CWS in 2010(?) after that late grand slam.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

As much as I loved the Rose Bowl, as time passes, the Alamo Bowl against Oregon is probably my favorite football game.  The TCU crowd was the loudest I’ve ever heard.  I turned to Mrs. Turk with about five minutes left and said, “You know, this is a heroic effort and all, but you know we just don’t have the time, don’t you?”  She agreed, and right after that, Oregon got a PI in the end zone, and suddenly, there was a path: a TD, two point conversion, and a field goal was all we needed and there WAS time for THAT.  After the TD and conversion, Oregon was stuck in our end of the field and we were so loud my ears hurt.  They melted down.  Oberkrom nailed it to tie the game, and Bram Kohlhausen took us home as if he had started for five years instead of one night.  Glorious.

Baseball?  Game three of the 2015 Super Regional. Sixteen brutal innings.  aggy fans chanting “Ball four! Ball four!” at Mitchell Traver in the top of the 16th, then the final pitch called a strike, then TCU fans turning to the aggys chanting “STRIKE THREE! STRIKE THREE!”  You could feel the hatred radiating from those rubes.  And then sending them home on our way to Omaha.  Big XII upgraded when you left, aggy.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 6

2009 Utah at Amon Carter. Only time I have ever heard the Frog fans drown out the Frog Horn.

• Like (+1) 4

I'll add another favorite...in fact a bundle of two different games....TCU and Louisville 2002...there, on TV...homecoming for UL...first half Frogs ahead 31-6 and the UL fans booed their team as it left the field (ultimately a 45-31 TCU victory)....Then 2003 TCU and Louisville at AGC and UL missing a field goal in the last few minutes for a TCU 31-28 win on TV...Louisville jumped ship from C-USA to ACC and the Louisville Courier lede was a benefit to changing conferences was no more games with TCU....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Jan. 1, 1958.  Cotton Bowl.  TCU vs. Air Force.  I was 10 years old and already a huge TCU fan.  It was my first game to see them play in person.  We rode the train from West Texas to Dallas for the game.  It might have been the best Christmas present I ever received.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Bluebonnet Bowl 1984. I got the Chicken Pox while at the game. I was supposed to march with the band at halftime, but couldn't. I did get a private hotel room, though. Unheard of on a band trip. (My three roomies moved out when I broke out in the pox.) I guess this wasn't such a great memory after all. 😆

Since my time at school came during the dark days of the 80's, there are few happy football memories to list. One that I do recall had nothing to do with football play on the field, but with the band play (shocking!). I've told this before, but we had a GA who had to write and teach a halftime show for his thesis and he chose Neil Diamond for the music to set the marching drills to. It was predominantly diamond formations, of course. At one point we were all standing still while playing that old standard, America, and we were supposed to shout "To-DAY!" at the appropriate time. Well, we also had another GA whom everyone loved and we band hooligans, just to be the troublemakers everyone knew we were, decided to shout that GA's name instead of "To-DAY!" But, we didn't do it at practice, only on game day. So, come Saturday, there we were in our cute little diamonds playing Neil Diamond and just at the right time in the song..."Jo-SE!" 🤭 We got in mess of trouble for that.

• Like (+1) 3

For some reason, I can't get into to replies posted today....I've tried to log in but to no success....Anyone have any spare hoodoo to share to remedy this?

@Frogfaninbedford do you mean you can't see the new replies in just this thread or the entire board? Have you tried restarting your browser/computer? We haven't had an update to our software in the past few days, so I don't think anything has changed on our end. Of course, if you can't see replies, you won't see this! lol

Love reading all of these, and many of you have already covered a lot of the games I would've named first.

I'll add a few that I was present for:

-Football vs. Stanford in 2008, "The Hurricane Game".  As the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through Fort Worth, what was expected to be a big crowd turned out to be a fairlly small number of not-at-all fairweather Frog fans.  The parking lot before the game was damn near empty, but someone in our group showed up with two big Gatorade jugs full of pre-mixed Hurricanes - so once we finally made our way over to the stadium, we were READY.  If I had to guess, I'd say there were 13k or 14k fans actually at the game...yet it was one of the rowdiest crowds I've ever been a part of at Amon G.  One of the few Stanford fans I saw there made some mention to our group about the supposed intellectual superiority of their school, to which I reminded him that his state had elected the dude from "Jingle All the Way" as their governor.  In the end, the Cardinal had a 4th and short to keep their hopes alive, but Jason Phillips and (future Heisman runner-up) Toby Gerhart collided like rams at the line of scrimmage...with Phillips prevailing.  Goodness gracious, what a moment.

-Football at OU, 2005.  Coming off of a dreadful 2004 season, there was anything but a buzz on campus heading into the 2005 season.  It'd be our first in the tougher-than-CUSA Mountain West, and it'd begin with a trip to Norman to take on Adrian Peterson and the Sooners, who had played in the '04 national title game.  One day in the spring of '04, some of the other students in one of my classes were discussing their sense of doom about the upcoming season, especially what they felt would be an embarrassing loss to OU in the first game.  Michael Toudouze, one of the starting O-Linemen, was in that class- though most of the students didn't realize he was a player.  He calmly told them they didn't know what they were talking about, and that we'd beat OU and probably win the MWC.  I loved the quiet confidence.  Anyway, the fall of '05 was my "half victory lap", so myself and a few other "super seniors" piled into two cars and drove to Norman that Labor Day weekend.  I'm not 100% sure we slept that entire time, and I'd be lying to you if I said I was sober at any point.  OU girls, man.  I was pretty loopy for that 11am kickoff, and I'd bought a single ticket from a scalper so that my buddy's gf (who didn't have a ticket) could sit with our group.  Luckily, I ended up next to a couple of TCU fans that I didn't know, but we became temporary best friends that afternoon.  To be honest, I don't remember a whole lot of details from the game - walk-on receiver Derek Moore scored our first touchdown, I think?  Just a great trip.

-Baseball vs. Oregon State in the Regionals, 2009.  It was the Frogs' first time to host a regional, and many of us wanted to show the committee they hadn't made a mistake - by showing up to every game, not just the ones in which the Frogs were playing.  The Beavers, who were still relatively fresh from their back-to-back national titles in '06 & '07, jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead in the championship game.  Tyler Lockwood hung tough, though, staying on through 7 innings and seeing the Frogs tie it at 4 in the 5th.  In the bottom of the 9th, with Bryan Holaday representing the winning run at 2nd, OSU intentionally walked Chris Ellington in favor of pitching to then-true freshman Jason Coats.  About 18 pitches later, Coats delivered an opposite-field single to right, scoring Holaday and sending the Frogs to the Super Regionals for the first time ever.  Place went bananas.  It was a giant step for a program that was very clearly going places.

-

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

12 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

@Frogfaninbedford do you mean you can't see the new replies in just this thread or the entire board? Have you tried restarting your browser/computer? We haven't had an update to our software in the past few days, so I don't think anything has changed on our end. Of course, if you can't see replies, you won't see this! lol

I can open new replies now....I had to restart the iPad and sign back in....Don't know why it had the hiccup in the first place, but things are rockin' now....Thanks....

• Like (+1) 3

1971...Basketball season finale at Daniel Meyer against A&M....If Frogs won, it would make them conference champions....Don' recall what caused the fight, but as arena brawls go, it was a good one...punches thrown, court side chairs thrown, fans jumping onto the court...off-duty FW police and TCU security trying to break it up....TCU did win...the basketball championship for sure...and maybe the fight, IIRC....And after the game, going to the car, discovered that it had snowed a couple of inches while we were inside....

• Like (+1) 3

One thing this thread has reminded me about is that I shouldn't ever go to game in Waco again.  We've lost the two I've been to.  2011 in the RGIII game where Casey made his first start and led a comeback that fell just short and then the 61-58 game.  Both games were entertaining as hell but the drive home afterward pretty much sucked.  One thing I can tell you though is that Frog fans were incredibly loud at both games.  Other than the Alamo Bowl comeback against Oregon, I have never seen TCU fans as manic as they were at those games.  It was incredible. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Based on some of the dates listed, I don't know if I am an old farsses yet, but will add one game and add to another.

The Oregon Alamo Bowl was fun because I was sitting in a sports bar about to leave in the third, but told the waitress just a few more minutes, then more and more.  She didn't come back to check if I needed any more food or drink, but she did come back to check on the score even though she new little about football.

The other game for me: Nov 7, 1992 23-14 win.  (152 was there also)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

18 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

One thing this thread has reminded me about is that I shouldn't ever go to game in Waco again.  We've lost the two I've been to.  2011 in the RGIII game where Casey made his first start and led a comeback that fell just short and then the 61-58 game.  Both games were entertaining as hell but the drive home afterward pretty much sucked.  One thing I can tell you though is that Frog fans were incredibly loud at both games.  Other than the Alamo Bowl comeback against Oregon, I have never seen TCU fans as manic as they were at those games.  It was incredible. 

I was at both of those games as well. The 2006 game too (which was fun). 

The 2011 game I wasn’t as upset. I think we were all still a little hungover from the Rose bowl and had a lot of new faces. RGMe played his face off and I remember thinking “well Baylor just wanted it a little more”. 

the 2014 game. Ugh. There isn’t much that hasn’t been said. Gut punch. But I agree. Frog fans were LOUD. Took a buddy of mine who wasn’t a frog fan just liked football and he still hates Baylor because of that game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

Based on some of the dates listed, I don't know if I am an old farsses yet, but will add one game and add to another.

The Oregon Alamo Bowl was fun because I was sitting in a sports bar about to leave in the third, but told the waitress just a few more minutes, then more and more.  She didn't come back to check if I needed any more food or drink, but she did come back to check on the score even though she new little about football.

The other game for me: Nov 7, 1992 23-14 win.  (152 was there also)

I missed the 23-14 game because the youth pastor at church needed an additional chaperone for a Friday night--Sunday morning retreat....Before cell phones, so no one could/would [thankfully the purpose of the retreat was met] try to stay connected to the real world....Sunday evening fellowship and the buses brought us back to church as people were setting up for the dinner....I asked (facetiously, I thought) a UT grad how bad TCU was beaten....He looked like a steer stunned between the eyes by a sledge hammer in the stockyards....Told me that TCU had won....I said something that should not have been spoken on the church parking lot, did a little dance....He turned around and walked away....Dinner tasted good that evening....

Edited by Frogfaninbedford
error
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3