Sign in to follow this  
Senor Ballistico

Official XFL Thread

Frogs in the XFL (official roster info):

Ranthony Texada, New York Guardians

Jawuan Johnson, New York Guardians

Cole Hunt, St. Louis BattleHawks

Stansly Maponga, Seattle Dragons

Kyle Hicks and Tayo Fabuluje were drafted by the Houston Roughnecks, but neither appear on the team's roster now. They may be on the sorta odd "Team 9", which will provide fill-in players for all the teams. More about that can be read at this link.

Here's the link for the league: https://www.xfl.com/en-US

And, the league schedule: https://www.xfl.com/2020-schedule

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pretty excited! Me and a few buddies are talking about going to the game on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm going to be really interested to see what attendance is like across the league.  As I recall, several of the AAF teams last year had trouble drawing decent crowds.  I'll probably make it out to a game at The Temple, if only just to see it configured for football.  I'll definitely watch games on TV.

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I'm going to be really interested to see what attendance is like across the league.  As I recall, several of the AAF teams last year had trouble drawing decent crowds.  I'll probably make it out to a game at The Temple, if only just to see it configured for football.  I'll definitely watch games on TV.

I really do think that McMahon learned from his mistakes 20 years ago. From all accounts he is well capitalized and they have good coaches in place.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I really do think that McMahon learned from his mistakes 20 years ago. From all accounts he is well capitalized and they have good coaches in place.

*Note: I probably won't keep up with this for every game, but for the first day of Wrassleball 2.0, some streams -

February 8, 2020

Seattle Dragons at DC Defenders

1:00pm Central

Ibuaz1P.png

Spoiler

Los Angeles Wildcats at Houston Roughnecks

4:00pm Central

Wspnovv.png

Spoiler

123TV

CricFree

FirstRowSports

Sports24

SportsBay

Wiz

YourSports

Zunox

• Like (+1) 1

I'm interested mainly in how different the rules will be. I was listening to the Dan Patrick show this week and he had Steve Levy in studio talking about it. Levy will be the head PBP guy for the league. He said the games will be much faster than an NFL game and more entertaining. Here's what he said about his favorite quirk of the XFL rules:

Levy’s favorite wrinkle in the XFL rule book? The elimination of extra-point kicks in favor of giving offenses the option of going for one point, two point or three points from the 2-, 5- or 10-yard lines, respectively, after touchdowns. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/06/xfls-reboot-is-made-for-tv-football-espns-steve-levy-will-be-its-lead-voice/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Stansley Maponga #90 on Seattle Dragons, just about to kick-off on ABC.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/6/2020 at 9:06 AM, Lyle Lanley II said:

A lot of empty space in Houston at TDECU Stadium. I didn't pay much attention to the crowd in DC, but there weren't any glaringly empty decks sticking out like here.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Stansley Maponga #90 on Seattle Dragons, just about to kick-off on ABC.

• Like (+1) 3

I yelled BOOM when he made that hit!

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

That would have been targeting in the NFL ....

Definitely targeting per NCAA rules.

• Upvote (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

A lot of empty space in Houston at TDECU Stadium. I didn't pay much attention to the crowd in DC, but there weren't any glaringly empty decks sticking out like here.

The reported crowds were about the same - 17,815 in Houston, 17,163 in DC.  They definitely looked different, though - 17k in DC's 20k soccer stadium looked great, while the empty seats at Cougar High's credit union field made their 17k look sparse.

For comparison sake, the AAF's week 1 average attendance last year was 19,210 - being supported by the 27k that attendend San Antonio's opener.

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

The reported crowds were about the same - 17,815 in Houston, 17,163 in DC.  They definitely looked different, though - 17k in DC's 20k soccer stadium looked great, while the empty seats at Cougar High's credit union field made their 17k look sparse.

For comparison sake, the AAF's week 1 average attendance last year was 19,210 - being supported by the 27k that attendend San Antonio's opener.

Thanks, I didn't pay much attention to the announcers in either game, and had Seattle/DC completely muted early so that I could catch the TCU radio wrap up and CJD post game interview.

My gut feeling was that San Antonio filled the Alamodome with more people for AAF than Houston put in the seats at Cougar High. I appreciate you digging up the numbers to confirm that.

As I suspected, the XFL likely won't hold my interest. It is more entertaining to me than the NFL, but it is not close to the AAF's level, and light years away from NCAA.

The one rule difference from NFL that I found most interesting was regarding the punt. It must stay in the air long enough to reach the 20 or else it gets placed at the opposing 45 yard-line. And, kick-offs were cool. The teams line up opposite each other in a single line at their respective 40s(?) and only the kicker and return man are deep. None of the rest of the players can move until the returner has the ball in his hands. I like it for the player safety angle.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

The one rule difference from NFL that I found most interesting was regarding the punt. It must stay in the air long enough to reach the 20 or else it gets placed at the opposing 45 yard-line. And, kick-offs were cool. The teams line up opposite each other in a single line at their respective 40s(?) and only the kicker and return man are deep. None of the rest of the players can move until the returner has the ball in his hands. I like it for the player safety angle.

I missed that punt rule in action. The kick-off rule is genius. It looks odd, but it's genius.

• Upvote (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Thanks, I didn't pay much attention to the announcers in either game, and had Seattle/DC completely muted early so that I could catch the TCU radio wrap up and CJD post game interview.

My gut feeling was that San Antonio filled the Alamodome with more people for AAF than Houston put in the seats at Cougar High. I appreciate you digging up the numbers to confirm that.

As I suspected, the XFL likely won't hold my interest. It is more entertaining to me than the NFL, but it is not close to the AAF's level, and light years away from NCAA.

I don’t think attendance matters as much as eyeballs on the TV. It might be lean for a few years. Hence why McMahon being so well capitalized makes the difference. 

The USFL in the 80s was very viable until Trump and a few other owners got too big for their britches and tried to make the season in the fall. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rothbardian said:

What's the AAF?

If you're serious, it WAS the Alliance of American Football league and only stuck around for a few weeks in 2019 until they folded due to NSF. Several Frogs played on the various teams.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Definitely targeting per NCAA rules.

Really? Because his head naturally went down when he lowered his shoulder to hit him? He didn't hit the guy with his helmet. Or, am I just displaying my ignorance of the targeting rule?

Edit: Not that I would *ever* doubt your call, Z...

• Upvote (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Really? Because his head naturally went down when he lowered his shoulder to hit him? He didn't hit the guy with his helmet. Or, am I just displaying my ignorance of the targeting rule?

Edit: Not that I would *ever* doubt your call, Z...

Led with his head and made contact with the crown of the helmet. 

Just now, Zebra Frog said:

Led with his head and made contact with the crown of the helmet. 

Stansley? #90?