Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Lanley II

Frogball USA - 2020 baseball season thread

The Big 12 preseason poll was released this morning.  The results, with first-place votes in parentheses:

1. Tech (6)

2. OSU

3. TCU (1)

4. OU 

5. UT (1)

6. Baylor

7. Western Virginia (1)

8. K-State

9. Kansas

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

TurkVision™ FrogBall Players

Optimus Prime: Zach Humphreys

Marcelo Perez: Gasolina

Gray Rodgers: The Cardigan

Conner Shepherd: The Clapper

Hunter Wolfe: Wolf Hunter

Gene Wood: The Mighty Oak

Go Frogs!

• Like (+1) 2

More bad injury news, and another LHP lost for the season: Grant Miller, the JUCO transfer is joining Augie Mihlbauer on the shelf and won't pitch in 2020.  

Miller was a stud at Round Rock High, and completely dominant at McClennan until his sophomore season was cut short by injury.  Hopefully he can come back healthy in 2021, because he's got sky-high potential.  

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

More bad injury news, and another LHP lost for the season: Grant Miller, the JUCO transfer is joining Augie Mihlbauer on the shelf and won't pitch in 2020.  

Miller was a stud at Round Rock High, and completely dominant at McClennan until his sophomore season was cut short by injury.  Hopefully he can come back healthy in 2021, because he's got sky-high potential.  

We can't have nice things....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Startlegram has an interview with Schlossnagle this morning, but it's behind paywall and I certainly will not subscribe to Engle's employer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Burner said:

Startlegram has an interview with Schlossnagle this morning, but it's behind paywall 

The basics:

-Covered the fact that Mihlbauer & Miller are out for the year

-Mentioned that Hunter Wolfe got hurt in practice, may be DH'ing early in the year before taking back over in CF

-Schloss said there are 8 candidates for the 4 rotation spots - thought their pitching overall was great in the fall but needs improvement thus far in spring

-Tommy Sacco, the JUCO shortstop, was mentioned as someone poised for a breakout season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Burner said:

I certainly will not subscribe to Engle's employer.

Too bad the Dallas paper didn't take him, too, along with his new gig at SMU when TCU finally let him go.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not directly TCU baseball related, but we did face him in the CWS a few years ago...

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/02/01/chants-gilmore-undergoing-tests-possible-liver-cancer-ccu-says/

“Coastal Carolina head baseball coach Gary Gilmore has recently discovered from preliminary tests that he has a large mass on his liver that the doctors believe to possibly be cancerous," the statement began.

“Over the next few days, he will undergo further tests to determine the nature of the problem and the next steps.”

• Sad 3

Baseball America's preview of the B12 in 2020. They picked us to finish fourth, behind (1) Tech, (2) Okie Lite, and (3) Oklahoma.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-big-12-conference-college-baseball-preview/

TCU fought through myriad injuries during the 2019 season and ended up sneaking into a regional as one of the last teams in the NCAA Tournament. Finally healthy heading into the 2020 season and bolstered by the addition of a top-five recruiting class, the Horned Frogs have what it takes to improve upon last season’s result. 

Catcher Zach Humphreys (.277/.336/.431), first baseman Conner Shepherd (.297/.389/.465) and outfielder Hunter Wolfe (.301/.417/.516), will be the senior leaders key in making the offense go, as will outfielder Porter Brown (.279/.405/.328), who was on his way to an outstanding season last year as a freshman before going down due to injury. 

The starting pitching is unproven but talented. Junior college transfer Johnny Ray, who has been up to 97 mph with his fastball, will lead the rotation. Behind him, freshman Jacob Meador flashes a big arm for a pitcher who is a little bit undersized, and Marcelo Perez (3-2, 4.30) was effective last season, albeit in the closer’s role. Having veteran Charles King (6-3, 3.36) back in the bullpen should be a big help as well.

• Thanks (+1) 2

TCU baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle ripped a rule change last year requiring pitchers to have both feet on the rubber in the windup. Now, he’s disappointed with another change college baseball is making by implementing a 20-second pitch clock this season.

“I don’t like it because I don’t think it was necessary,” Schlossnagle said. “There are certain parts of the country in which it is necessary. There’s some teams that play really, really slow and screw up the pace of the game for everybody. That’s where it’s coming from.”

To Schlossnagle, the pitch clock is simply unnecessary and another burden for umpires to worry about.

“It’s not really a factor for us, but I just hate that it’s one more thing that’s not real baseball,” Schlossnagle said. “Sometimes college baseball goes overboard in coming up with new rules when we could just follow what major league teams do.”

(Paywalled): https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article240242841.html?

Basically, it's a 20 second pitch clock. If the pitcher takes too long, a ball is awarded to the batter. If the batter does something to "violate the 20-second rule", the pitcher gets a strike.

• Like (+1) 1

Hello Frog Horn. My very first post on any message board so be nice!  You guys seem a lot nicer than some of the posters I see on other unnamed sites so that is why I joined you. I am a long-time lurker but decided to finally join in some conversation now that I am only working part-time.

I  chose the baseball thread as my first post as that is my first love, though I'm all in with season tickets in football, basketball, and baseball. But I don't intend to compete with Turkvision, which I've enjoyed for many years on this site!  As my name implies, I am a local Frog and was able to go to the Diamond Club lunch today.

A few things I heard today: Coach Mosiello thinks we will be much improved defensively this year--I know that is a low bar statement to make after the train wreck of last year's fielding! But he said we will really enjoy watching the shortstop Sacco in particular. Probably won't hit as many home runs this year as a team but should still be a good hitting team.

Coach Saarloos said the rotation was pretty set with Johnny Ray on Fridays, Charles King on Saturday, and Russell Smith healthy again and will be our Sunday starter. He also said Harrison Beethe has won the closer role for now but expected Marcelo Perez to still have a lot of opportunities now that he is healthy again.

Coach Schloss was cautiously optimistic is how I would describe him. Said the conference will be really tough with Tech and their hitting once again, and OU especially this year has a really solid pitching staff. Said we would know soon about the Frogs as we have a really tough non-conference schedule this year.

Here's to a good and healthy year for baseball in 2020!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Tarrant Lizard said:

Here's to a good and healthy year for baseball in 2020!

Welcome TL!  I don't really follow baseball until we make the CWS, so I'm glad to have guys like you keeping me updated.

1 hour ago, Tarrant Lizard said:

...Turkvision, which I've enjoyed for many years on this site!

Further evidence that The Froghorn admits only members with discriminating tastes.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the update @Tarrant Lizard! All I'll say is, it took you long enough to make your first post, friend! 😁

Happy to have you in the mix!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Story in the Star-Telegram this morning had a projected lineup:

1. Porter Brown, LF

2. Tommy Sacco, SS

3. Austin Henry, 1B

4. Gene Wood, RF

5. Hunter Wolfe, DH

6. Conner Shepherd, 3B

7. Zach Humphreys, C

8. Gray Rodgers, 2B

9. Phillip Sikes, CF

• Like (+1) 1

Also read somewhere that Harrison Beethe, the Fort Worth native, is in the closer role for now.  Perez may be an option for the weekend rotation or midweek starter.  Riley Cornelio, the true freshman from Colorado, is pencilled in as the starter for Tuesday's game against Abilene Christian - but Schloss said that may change if he's needed out of the 'pen against Kentucky.

• Like (+1) 1

Lead off walk for UK.

STRUCK HIM OUT! One away, runner on 1st

STRUCK HIM OUT! Two away, runner on 1st.

Runner caught stealing. Fightin’ McConnells go down scoreless in T1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1