Players that made the most 3-point shots in NBA history:
2,973— Ray Allen
2,560— Reggie Miller
2,495— Stephen Curry
2,437— Kyle Korver
2,296— James Harden
2,290— Vince Carter

Quote of the Day:
“It’s a sad day for all of us who knew Jerry Sloan. Not only on the basketball court but, more importantly, as a human being. He was genuine and true. And that is rare. He was a mentor for me from afar until I got to know him. A man who suffered no fools, he possessed a humor, often disguised, and had a heart as big as the prairie.”
Gregg Popovich

Sunday’s quiz
What team did Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run agains?

Saturday’s quiz
Shaquille O’Neal finished his NBA career with the Celtics, in 2010-11.

Friday’s quiz
Oklahoma City Thunder were the Seattle SuperSonics, before moving to Oklahoma.

Posted onMay 23, 2020
Leave a commenton Sunday’s 6-pack, Quote, Quiz of the Day
Sunday’s Den: Mt Rushmore of QB’s for AFC teams
Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens (moved to Baltimore in 1996)
— Otto Graham— 57-13-1 as Cleveland’s QB, won three NFL titles.
— Joe Flacco— Won a Super Bowl, also threw ball for 38,245 yards.
— Lamar Jackson— Won 19 of first 24 starts, but is 0-2 in playoff games.
— Brian Sipe— Threw for 23,713 yards, went 57-55 before jumping to USFL.

Buffalo Bills
— Jim Kelly— Four straight AFC titles, threw for 35,467 yards- helluva run.
— Joe Ferguson— Threw for 27,590 yards, handed off to OJ a lot. 1-3 in playoffs.
— Jack Kemp— 43-31-3 with the Bills; went 22-6 with the Chargers.
— Doug Flutie— 21-9 with Buffalo, 38-28 overall in NFL; also played in USFL, CFL.

Cincinnati Bengals
— Ken Anderson— 91-81 with Bengals is impressive; threw for 32,838 yards.
— Boomer Esiason— 62-61 in Cincinnati; threw for 27,149 yards, won an AFC title.
— Andy Dalton— 70-61-2 in regular season with Bengals, 0-4 in playoff games.
— Carson Palmer— Threw for 22,694 yards with Bengals; went 38-21-1 in Arizona.

Cleveland Browns
— Tim Couch— Went 8-6 for Browns in 2002, but didn’t play in playoff game.
— Baker Mayfield— 12-17 with Browns; too bad he doesn’t play as well as he talks.
— Derek Anderson— 16-18 in Cleveland from 2006-09; lasted 13 years in NFL.
— Brian Hoyer— 10-6 with Browns; 38 career starts in 11 years.

Denver Broncos
— John Elway— 14-7 in playoff games; I think he’s the best QB ever.
— Peyton Manning— Went 45-12 with Denver, won two AFC titles.
— Craig Morton— Went 41-23 with Broncos, got Denver to first Super Bowl
— Jake Plummer— 39-15 as Denver’s starter, retired at age 32.

Houston Texans
— Deshaun Watson— 24-13 in three years with the Texas.
— Matt Schaub— Went 46-42 in Houston, threw for 23,221 yards.
— David Carr— Got pummeled as QB of the expansion Texans (22-53).
— Brock Osweiler— 8-6 in one year with Texans, 15-15 overall in NFL.

Indianapolis Colts
— Johnny Unitas— 117-60-4 with Colts, won three NFL titles.
— Peyton Manning— 141-67 with Colts, threw for 54,828 yards.
— Andrew Luck— Went 53-33 with Indy before his early retirement.
— Earl Morrall— Won 24 of 28 Colt starts, including 16-7 loss in SB III.

Jacksonville Jaguars
— Mark Brunell— 63-54 in Jacksonville, 24 more wins than any other Jaguar QB.
— David Garrard— 39-37 for Jaguars, threw for 16,003 yards,
— Byron Leftwich— 24-20 with Jags, is now Brady’s OC in Tampa Bay.
— Blake Bortles— Started for five years in Jacksonville, was backup for Rams LY.

Kansas City Chiefs
— Len Dawson— 93-56-8 with Chiefs, started 2 of first 4 Super Bowls.
— Patrick Mahomes— 24-7 with Chiefs, won KC’s first Super Bowl in 50 years.
— Trent Green— 48-40 for Chiefs, threw ball for 21,459 yards.
— Alex Smith— Underrated career; 50-26 in KC, 94-66-1 overall.

Los Angeles Chargers
— Dan Fouts— Threw for 43,040 yards, playing in a more defense-friendly era.
— Philip Rivers— 128-107 in San Diego, only 5-6 in playoff games- he threw 411 TD passes.
— John Hadl— Wore #21, threw for 26,938 yards, also coached in the USFL.
— Stan Humphries— 47-29 for Chargers, led San Diego to their only Super Bowl.

Miami Dolphins
— Dan Marino— Threw for 61,361 yards, 420 TD’s, but never won a Super Bowl.
— Bob Greise— 92-56-3 with Miami, won two Super Bowls.
— Jay Fiedler— 36-23 in Miami from 2000-04, only 1-2 in playoff games.
— David Woodley— 27-12-1 with Dolphins, led them to a Super Bowl.

New England Patriots
— Tom Brady— Won six Super Bowls, threw 614 TD passes.
— Steve Grogan— Went 75-60 with Patriots, led them to Super Bowl in 1985.
— Drew Bledsoe— Threw for 29,657 yards, 166 TD’s; also played for Bills, Cowboys.
— Babe Parilli— 44-32-7 for Boston Patriots in early AFL days; they played at Fenway.

New Jersey Jets
— Joe Namath— Won Super Bowl III, was only 62-62-1 as Jets’ QB, hampered by a bad knee.
— Ken O’Brien— Threw for 24,386 yards, 124 TD’s.
— Mark Sanchez— 33-29 in regular season, went 4-2 in playoff games.
— Chad Pennington— 32-29 as a starter, also won a couple playoff games.

Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders
— Ken Stabler— 69-26-1 for Oakland in 70’s; won their first Super Bowl title.
— Daryle Lamonica— 62-16-6 for Raiders, was Oakland’s QB in Super Bowl II.
— Jim Plunkett— 38-19 for Oakland, winning two Super Bowls. 8-2 in playoff games.
— Rich Gannon— 45-29 for Raiders, 37-18 from 2000-02; was 4-3 in playoff games.

Pittsburgh Steelers
— Terry Bradshaw— Won four Super Bowls in six years; was 107-51-1 for Steelers.
— Ben Roethlisberger— Has thrown for 56,545 yards, won two Super Bowls.
— Neil O’Donnell— 39-22 for Pittsburgh in early 90’s; lost Super Bowl XXX to Dallas.
— Kordell Stewart— 48-31 for Steelers in late 90’s, only 2-2 in playoff games.

Tennessee Titans
— Warren Moon— Threw for 33,685 yards for Oilers, was 27-13 from 1990-92.
— Steve McNair— 76-55 with Titans, got them within yard of OT in Super Bowl XXXIV
— George Blanda— Won first two AFL titles with Oilers, kicked in NFL until he was 48.
— Dan Pastorini— Was Oilers’ QB in Bum Phillips era; was also their punter for five years

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Monday’s 6-pack
Standings after three weeks in the KBO:
14-3— NC Dinos
11-6— LG Twins
10-7— Doosan Bears
10-8— Kia Tigers, Kiboom Heroes
9-8— Lotte Giants
7-10— KT Wiz
7-11— Hanwha Eagles
6-12— Samsung Lions
3-14— SK Wyverns

Quote of the Day:
“First of all, let’s not take anything away from LeBron James. Because LeBron James is a great basketball player, one of the all-time greatest that’s ever played the game. LeBron James to me, when you think about all-around basketball players, he’s probably the best of all time. An all-around basketball player. But when you want to say ‘who’s the greatest ever’ it’s still Michael Jordan.”
Magic Johnson, a former teammate of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who is actually the best player ever

Monday’s quiz
Only one major league team hasn’t played in a World Series; which one?

Sunday’s quiz
Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run against the Dodgers (Al Downing)

Saturday’s quiz
Shaquille O’Neal finished his NBA career with the Celtics, in 2010-11.

Posted onMay 24, 2020
Leave a commenton Monday’s 6-pack, Quote, Quiz of the Day
Monday’s Den: Happy Memorial Day, kind of…….
13) Memorial Day without baseball is unfathomable; won’t even be Korean baseball, since Mondays are off days in the KBO, and Memorial Day isn’t exactly a holiday in Korea.

Sounds like baseball, the NBA and NHL will start up training camps soon, then there will be viewing choices on TV, and better stuff to write about in this space.

Until Billions came on at 9:00 Sunday night, my viewing choices were:
— A 2005 Spurs-Suns playoff game
— Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, made in 1969
— Bulworth, an off-beat Warren Beatty movie from 1998
— The 23rd showing of a Mets-Red Sox World Series game, from 1986

12) Apparently baseball is making progress on a plan for this season:
— 82-game season
— 30-man rosters, with taxi squad of roughly 20 guys
— 14 teams make playoffs
— Universal DH

11) Jets signed Joe Flacco as their backup QB; Flacco had neck surgery in April, should be ready for the start of the season.

Jets lost their last 11 games started by a backup QB; their last win with a backup was December 11, 2016 in San Francisco, when Bryce Petty led the Jets to a win.

10) Of all the major leaguers who played last season, which one has been traded the most? Getting cut/waived doesn’t count, just trades.

8— Jesse Chavez
7— Cameron Maybin, Edwin Jackson

9) Few years ago, I get up early on a Saturday morning in Las Vegas and ran off to a Boys Club in Southern Highlands to watch the junior college showcase, played on one court, in a way less glamorous setting then the elite high school kids played in.

This was the Last Chance Saloon for kids trying to get a college scholarship; those kids played their butts off, trying to impress the college coaches there. Fun games to watch, but a little sad, because you knew most of these kids weren’t going to get an offer.

Which college basketball conferences recruit the most junior college players? Last year, it was the Sun Belt and Southland Conferences.

Best things about that day at the Boys’ Club:
— They didn’t charge me to get in.
— It was 105 that day, and I had to park in a strip mall parking lot down the street, but after the games, when I had lunch in a Mexican restaurant there, won $75 playing video poker.

8) Rhode Island/Seton Hall are starting a home/home basketball series this season, which could be interesting.

7) Michael Jordan’s teams, head-to-head vs other stars’ teams:
11-7 vs Magic Johnson
3-2 vs Tim Duncan
12-9 vs Shaquille O’Neal
4-4 vs Kareen Abdul-Jabbar
3-5 vs Kobe Ryant
11-23 vs Larry Bird

6) When Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 1961, he wasn’t intentionally walked once the whole season; New York had an excellent lineup, hard to pitch around guys.

Weird thing is the next season, playing against against the Angels, Maris was walked intentionally four times in one game.

5) One of the underrated facts about football coaches is that a lot of them are nomadic, they switch jobs from year-to-year, moving all over the country.

Here is where former Panthers/Bears coach John Fox worked at the start of his career:
1978— San Diego State— grad assistant
1979— US International— DB’s coach
1980— Boise State— DB’s coach
1981— Long Beach State— DB’s coach
1982— Utah— DB’s coach
1983— Kansas— DB’s coach
1984— Iowa State— DB’s coach
1985— LA Express (USFL)— DB’s coach
1986-88— Pittsburgh Steelers, DB’s coach. His big break, and he ran with it.

4) In 1980, each member of the World Series champs got $35,000; last year each Washington National got a check for $382,358.18.

3) Get well soon to Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing, who tested positive for the corona virus. Washington DC is one of the current hotspots for the virus.

2) RIP to coach Eddie Sutton; he won 802 games as a college basketball coach; he passed away this weekend, at age 84. Here is Sutton’s record at the various stops in his career:

Southern Idaho CC: 84-14
Creighton: 82-50
Arkansas: 260-75
Kentucky: 88-39
Oklahoma State: 368-151
San Francisco 6-13 (was an interim coach there)

1) Jerry Sloan played for the Chicago Bulls for 10 years, after playing his rookie season with the Baltimore Bullets; he was a tough, defensive-minded guard who scored 14 ppg in his career. He made the All-Star team twice, the All-Defensive team six times.

Sloan coached the Bulls for three seasons, then went on to Utah, where he led the Jazz for 23 years, and is the reason he was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 2009.

Coach Sloan passed away last week at age 78; he was old school, a tough guy. RIP, sir

• Like (+1) 1

Tuesday’s 6-pack
Spreads for Week 3 NFL games:
— Dolphins (-2) @ Jaguars
— 49ers (-5.5) @ Giants
— Raiders @ Patriots (-4.5)
— Buccaneers @ Broncos (even)
— Cowboys @ Seahawks (-2.5)
— Packers @ Saints (-6)

Quote of the Day:
“Guidance is the one thing that young athletes coming through the college system miss on so much. I missed on it. They’re about to start paying college athletes. This is something that has never been experienced before, and it’s going to destroy some people if their foundation is not in the right place.”
Reggie Bush

Tuesday’s quiz
Hawai’i was the 50th state, Alaska the 49th; which state was the 48th?

Monday’s quiz
Only one major league team hasn’t played in a World Series, the Seattle Mariners.

Sunday’s quiz
Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run against the Dodgers (Al Downing)

Posted onMay 25, 2020
Leave a commenton Tuesday’s 6-pack, Quote, Quiz of the Day
Tuesday’s Den: My first book report since 8th grade……
When I was a kid, we had to do book reports for school; read a book, then write a report on it, to prove we read it, I guess. This is my first book report since 8th grade.

My birthday is right around Christmas; when I was 12, my dad gave me a book, The Open Man, written by the Knicks’ Dave DeBusschere, a diary of the Knicks’ 1969-70 championship season, when they won their first NBA title.

This was the first real book I ever read; it grabbed my attention and I basically ignored the rest of the week until I finished the book. The nucleus of the Knicks was still mostly intact, so this was good stuff, and I devoured every word. A lot of my enthusiasm for basketball got its start from reading this book.

Now it is 2020, our current life is at a standstill, so this weekend I re-read The Open Man; brought back lot of memories, but boy, a million things have changed since 1970.

— The current Madison Square Garden opened in 1968; DeBusschere scored the first basket there, but he was playing for Detroit then. Knicks traded for him during the ’68-’69 season; he was the missing link, a solid defender, a glue guy who made the Knicks a championship contender, the hottest ticket in town.

— DeBusschere was player/coach of the Pistons when he was 24; he also pitched for the White Sox, when being a two-sport athlete was possible. He is pretty honest in this book; he makes fun of his wife’s cooking a lot, pokes fun at Bill Bradley (his roommate on the road), and explains how draining it is to be a starter in the NBA.

— Back then, players roomed two-to a-room on the road; now? Not so much.

— In 1963, the White Sox had to decide whether to protect DeBusschere in a waiver draft, or another pitcher named Denny McLain- they let McLain walk.

McLain won 31 games in 1967, 24 more in ’68 for the Detroit Tigers, and DeBusschere quit baseball, which helps explain why the White Sox have sucked for a long time. Of course, McLain later wound up in prison because of off-field issues, so there’s that.

— Keep in mind, the NBA then wasn’t like it is now; light years different
a) Back then, the minimum salary was $13,500; now, it is $898,310
b) Teams didn’t have their own airplanes, and they often played three nights in a row, in three different cities.
c) These days, Steph Curry makes $5000,000 a game; lot of stars don’t play the second night of a back/back, even of they’re not hurt. There was no load management in 1970.

— This season, the Lakers have seven assistant coaches, two video coordinators; in 1970, the Knicks had a head coach (Red Holzman), a scout (Dick McGuire) who wasn’t with the team much- their trainer (Danny Whelan) did a lot of game management-type stuff. They practiced in a cold, cruddy old gym called Lost Battalion, which DeBusschere complains about constantly in the book. Teams have their own practice facilities now; they’re really nice.

— The book is a running diary of the season; the starters played a lot during preseason games; that doesn’t happen anymore.

— One preseason game in Bangor, Maine was sponsored by Celtics’ player Don Nelson, who put up the money to hold the game, and pocketed whatever profits there were. Nelson went on to be a very good head coach in the NBA, with the Bucks/Warriors.

— Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was a rookie that season; he got the Bucks to the Eastern Conference finals in his first season, which was the second season in Bucks’ history. Interesting to read how DeBusschere describes him as the season goes on.

In a November 1st regular season game, Kareen played the whole 48:00; don’t think anything like that would happen these days, or else……..

— There was no 3-point line back then; getting shots close to the basket was the premium, so big guys had much bigger rebound totals than they do now. Missed 3-pointers give out longer rebounds, so these days big guys get fewer rebounds.

— The ABA was going on at this time, so lot of prominent players didn’t cross paths with the Knicks that year. When his playing days were over, DeBusschere became commissioner of the ABA, before it folded and four of its teams joined the NBA.

— In 1970, if you got fouled while shooting, and the other team was over the limit, you got three free throws to make two, a terrible rule.

— Oscar Robertson played for the Cincinnati Royals that year, coached by Hall of Famer Bob Cousy; weird thing is, after the Bucks lost to the Knicks in the Eastern Conference final, they traded for Oscar, before the Knicks-Lakers series started.

— DeBusschere wasn’t that glowing when talking about Baltimore Bullets’ star Earl Monroe, who was a great scorer; he criticized his passing/defense, which must’ve been awkward a couple years later, when the Knicks acquired Monroe. Earl the Pearl helped the Knicks win their 2nd (and last) title, in 1973.

— Bullets, by the way, became the Washington Wizards years later.

— There were no NBA teams in Portland, Cleveland, Dallas, Sacramento; there were almost no international players; DeBusschere complains that the Knicks went 4-9 on national TV that year, even when they won the title. Nowadays, every freakin’ game in available nation-wide.

— Playing for a winning team in New York back then had its advantages; celebrities like Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford sat behind the Knicks bench, much like Spike Lee sits across from he bench now.

DeBusschere tells the story of playing the Phoenix Suns in Utah, before the Jazz existed; after the game, he and Bill Bradley go to Redford’s home in the snowy hills, making the last couple miles of the trip on snowmobiles.

Cocktail parties with rich and famous people were the norm, and still are, especially when you’re winning.

— His persoanl matchups with stars like Elgin Baylor, Gus Johnson, Connie Hawkins were fun to read about. Teams played against each other more, so the players knew each other’s tendencies much better. Lot of physical play.

— Reading this book was fun, brought back lot of memories, and now that the NBA may be starting up in Orlando next month, motivated me to get my NBA notebook ready. Pretty soo there will be live basketball on TV again, and that is a good thing

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

Tuesday’s quiz
Hawai’i was the 50th state, Alaska the 49th; which state was the 48th?

Arizona (and by the way, I'm only answering these if I don't have to look them up)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Wednesday’s 6-pack
Spreads for Week 4 NFL games:
— Dolphins (even) @ Jets
— Colts @ Bears (-1.5)
— Browns @ Cowboys (-6)
— Patriots @ Chiefs (7.5)
— Bills @ Raiders (even)
— Eagles @ 49ers (-5.5)

Quote of the Day:
“People over 60 need to be protected, of course, so long as it doesn’t impact the stock market……beyond that grandpa, it’s been nice knowing you.”
LA Times writer Chris Dufresne, who passed away Monday at age 62

Wednesday’s quiz
Where did Larry Bird play his college basketball?

Tuesday’s quiz
Ted Cassidy played Lurch in the Addams Family; he was also in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Monday’s quiz
Hawai’i was the 50th state, Alaska the 49th; Arizona was the 48th.

Posted onMay 26, 2020
Leave a commenton Wednesday’s 6-pack, Quote, Quiz of the Day
Wednesday’s List of 13: Mid-week musings…….
13) Perils of the rich and famous; Mets’ pitcher Noah Syndergaard is being sued in a Manhattan federal court after missing rent on his $27,000/month Tribeca apartment.

Syndergaard signed an eight-month lease on a three-bedroom, 2,700-square-foot duplex; he never moved in and hasn’t made any rent payments. The agreement was signed a month before New York City shut down because of the coronavirus.

Four days after Syndergaard’s lease was scheduled to begin, his season officially ended because he had Tommy John surgery; he is a free agent after the 2021 season.

12) Syndergaard made $6M last year, the 10th-highest paid Met; back in 1985, Mike Schmidt made $2,130,000 and he was the highest-paid player in the majors that season.

11) Washington Senators’ star Juan Soto made his major league debut on May 20, 2018, but on June 18, he played in a game that had been suspended on May 15, and he homered. Soto hit his first major league homer in that June 20 resumption of the May 15 game, so technically he hit hit first major league homer in a May 15 game, three days before his major league debut.

10) Longest streaks as a regular season favorite by a QB:
74 games— Tom Brady, 2015-present
62 games— Steve Young, 1993-97
48 games— Kurt Warner, 1999-2003
42 games— Terry Bradshaw, 1972-77

9) AFC West betting opportunities:
Denver:
5-9 wins: -$180
10-14 wins: +$250
0-4 wins: +$350
15-16 wins: 150-1

Kansas City:
10-14 wins:-$190
5-9 wins: +$155
0-4 wins or 15-16 wins: both 18-1

Las Vegas Raiders:
5-9 wins: -$180
10-14 wins: +$250
0-4 wins: +$350
15-16 wins: 175-1

LA Chargers:
5-9 wins: -$170
10-14 wins: +$225
0-4 wins: +$375
15-16 wins: 175-1

8) Biggest point spread in NFL history? In 1976, the Steelers (-27) shut out the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers 42-0 in Three Rivers Stadium. Tampa Bay went 0-14 that season.

7) There are seven college football teams this season with the same head coach, but with two coordinators:

Arizona Sate, Louisiana Tech, Syracuse, Texas, Toledo, Utah State, Vanderbilt

6) Caylin Newton, Cam Newton’s younger brother, will transfer from Howard to Auburn, where his brother won the Heisman Trophy and a national title in 2010.

Caylin Newton led Howard to the biggest pointspread upset in college history when Howard (+47) upset UNLV 43-40 in 2017; he has two years of eligibility left.

5) Jose Bautista hit 344 home runs in a 15-year major league career, playing for eight different teams. Bautista wore nine different numbers in his career, even though he wore #19 for four different teams.

4) Korean baseball looks weird with no fans at the games; the biggest stadium in the KBO seats 26,800 fans, the smallest one 13,000.

3) The NBA will be resuming with all 16 playoff teams in the same city; this would be a good time to seed all 16 playoff teams #1-16, regardless of conference. Would be a worthwhile experiment at a time where it doesn’t hurt to try it.

2) Baltimore Orioles trailed by 4+ runs in 73 games last year, winning only three of those games. Angels (4-64), Detroit (2-65) were next on the list.

Houston Astros trailed by 4+ runs in only 23 games LY, and won two of them.

1) NHL announced the start of its plan to resume this season, with 24 teams taking part, at two hub locations. From what I saw, NHL games won’t resume until July, but at least they’ve come up with a format.

Top four seeds in each conference will play a round-robin for seeding; teams 5 will plays teams 12 in each conference, 6 plays 11, 7 plays 10, 8 plays 9. Apparently, regular season overtime rules will hold in the early rounds, which means playoff shootouts, for the first time.

The seven NHL teams whose season is now officially over will take part in the draft lottery June 26