Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Feeling Froggy

The Nerdy Programs/Apps Thead

18 posts in this topic

I'll limit this list to free software for simplicity's sake, but it is always nice to have a spot to go to for a program for a computer or phone that improves life.

For Windows (I have computers running XP, 7, and Server 2008 R2) here a few of my must install programs:

7Zip - File archive program. Supports .zip, .7z, .rar, etc.

Irfanview - The simplest, fastest way that I have found to do basic photo manipulation without resorting to loading Photoshop. Plenty of plugins, as well.

Notepad++ - The best text editor there is, from simple note files to html/java/php, C# or other programming. Try loading 500,000+ lines of text in Windows Notepad, and you'll understand.

Sumatra PDF - What Foxit used to be before it started emulating Adobe products, and then some. Simple, sleek and fast PDF (and more) viewer.

MicroSoft Calculator Plus - Slightly better than the built in calculator. Not the best, but it is fast, easy and doesn't require emulation or a ROM flash from an actual calculator.

SMPlayer - Windows port of MPlayer for Linux. My most used media (video) player. SMTube is a wonderful plugin for it.

VLC Player - My backup media (video) player for Windows.

WinAmp - Even though it is dead/in limbo, I still find myself using it frequently, even if it is bloated. (I use the old Pro version, but the free version was similar enough.)

Foobar2000 - My backup music player.

Tixati - Torrent handler.

Always On Top - Auto-hotkey script that is invaluable for keeping windows in the forefront, even when they are inactive and in the "background".

I browse with Waterfox or (occasionally) Firefox. A few of the essential add-ons that I use are:

AdBlock Plus

Element Hiding Helper for ABP

AdBlock Plus Pop-up Addon

NoScript

Redirect Bypasser

YouTube Downloader - Because sometimes you just need a copy of something on YouTube, like a football game....

Stylish - Change the way webpages look. Themes/styles at https://userstyles.org/

PDF Crowd - Save webpages as a pdf file. Not ideal, but the best browser plugin for the task that I have found thus far.

If there are other Linux users on here, I can start a list of the programs I use in that environment, otherwise, I'll ignore it for now.

I have an Android device, but I use it primarily as a phone, and little more. Firefox is installed on it, and that is about it, beyond calculators and other technical stuff. I view pdfs on it with MuPDF.

Edited by Feeling Froggy

17 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I refer you to this post, and seemed like a good idea to have a dedicated thread to dump these kinds of things.

He just needed something to grump about.

A nice little app I came across is Ninite (ninite.com).  Basically it's an executable batch file for updating software you select, without having to track down each publisher's website or figure out if you have the latest update.  It's free, it works, and I can update most of the applications I use daily in record time.  It does not accept those sneaky little add-ons like browser toolbars, nor does it change your browser settings.

Ninite looks interesting, and I will give it a shot.

I have been contemplating ditching my (locked down as much as possible) stock Android ROM lately. Lineage OS (built out of the ashes of CyanogenMod) has been on my radar, and might require a test run.

Also, DuckDuckGo got set as my default search engine about a year ago.

22 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Ninite looks interesting, and I will give it a shot.

I have been contemplating ditching my (locked down as much as possible) stock Android ROM lately. Lineage OS (built out of the ashes of CyanogenMod) has been on my radar, and might require a test run.

Also, DuckDuckGo got set as my default search engine about a year ago.

I'be been ducking instead of googling for quite a while, now...no intention of changing.

I used Waterfox for a while and liked it, but then started having issues with its not accepting certificates from most of the web pages I visit.  Didn't have that problem with Firefox or Opera.  Any input/insight into that?

Oh...SyncBack from 2brightsparks.com...the best little backup app I've ever found.

Antivirus issue? Seems to be answer for the quick search results about the problem.

I run my Waterfox on a Win Server installation, and because of being Server, antivirus (and certain other types of) software requires hacks to install. I found it less than ideal versus closely monitoring processes and traffic on the machine, so I reverted back to standard Server behavior. I haven't had a certificate issue with Waterfox.

Then again, I also run through a virtual machine (OpenSUSE or Win 7 x86) with Firefox when I am not pegging all the cores and making Celeron sounds on that computer.

Does PaleMoon give the same certificate issue?

24 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Antivirus issue? Seems to be answer for the quick search results about the problem.

I run my Waterfox on a Win Server installation, and because of being Server, antivirus (and certain other types of) software requires hacks to install. I found it less than ideal versus closely monitoring processes and traffic on the machine, so I reverted back to standard Server behavior. I haven't had a certificate issue with Waterfox.

Then again, I also run through a virtual machine (OpenSUSE or Win 7 x86) with Firefox when I am not pegging all the cores and making Celeron sounds on that computer.

Does PaleMoon give the same certificate issue?

Could be an AV issue...for example:

Screenshot 2017-02-17 12.21.10.jpg

1 minute ago, FrogAbroad said:

Could be an AV issue...for example:

I would cross check it with a known clean site. Set an AV exception for the site, then try the two x64 browsers again. If it persists, disable your antivirus exception and start looking at why the risk is there. If it doesn't pose an issue anymore, you just found the problem being a false positive/antivirus issue.

It appears that I forgot to include Everything in my original list. It is smallest footprint local file search engine for Windows that I have found, and what Windows search should have been from the start.