Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurpleDawg

The Sports Dump

352 posts in this topic

Add Gale Sayers to the dementia list.

Damn.

Possibly my 1st sports memory was Sayers returning a kick for the Bears as he attempted to come back from knee surgery.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, RicketyFrog said:

29445.jpg

One of my all time favorite pics

The lineman (or fullback-- not much difference in those days) in the upper right corner of the photo, looks like someone you would want on YOUR side in a Jacksboro Highway bar, ummm, social engagement.

6 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Add Gale Sayers to the dementia list.

Damn.

Possibly my 1st sports memory was Sayers returning a kick for the Bears as he attempted to come back from knee surgery.

That's a shame. Great man. Is it football related, or is he just that old? Serious question. 

20 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

That's a shame. Great man. Is it football related, or is he just that old? Serious question. 

He's 73, so who knows.  Could be either or both.

Dwight Clark has ALS.  Football players 4 times more likely to get it vs the general population.

1 hour ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

He's 73, so who knows.  Could be either or both.

Dwight Clark has ALS.  Football players 4 times more likely to get it vs the general population.

Recently watched my grandma suffer through it. Awful diesease 

36 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Recently watched my grandma suffer through it. Awful diesease 

A friend of a friend recently died of it. 40-something years old. Just dreadful. 

5 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Stay hard, Jerry Krause....

Surprised he made it to 77. He did not look healthy. 

The 93-94 rockets would have beaten the Bulls. FWIW

1 minute ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Thats so cute...

As is your undying love for Jordan... who would have stopped Hakeem?? He was a monster on the Post. Ask Shaq, or Moses Malone... Mad Max would have given MJ all he had.

2 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Surprised he made it to 77. He did not look healthy. 

The 93-94 rockets would have beaten the Bulls. FWIW

Not with the GOAT.  And I am a yuuge Hakeem fan.  But no way.  

12 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

As is your undying love for Jordan... who would have stopped Hakeem?? He was a monster on the Post. Ask Shaq, or Moses Malone... Mad Max would have given MJ all he had.

Not sure I love Jordan, but whatever.  A great player, possibly/probably the greatest, and a big time tool.  Thing is, the 2 years he was gone, the Bulls were still pretty damn good.  There's a reason the Bulls were 6-for-6 in the Finals, and it wasnt just because of Jordan.

If Hakeem was such an unstoppable force (and he was one of the best), how come they only got to the Finals twice?  What happened in '93...or '96? That's right, they got whipped in the 2nd round by that unstoppable force, Shawn Kemp.   And they beat the Knicks in '94 because Starks imploded.  

Maxwell....that's funny.

Simple fact is, you dont know the Rockets would have won in 94 and/or 95 any more than I know the Bulls would have.  And never will.  But the Rockets fans have developed such an inferiority complex about the subject over the years because Jordan WASNT there and in a lot of people's eyes it diminishes the achievement, ignoring the fact that it's still a HUGE achievement.  Cant be happy with what happened, gotta be irritated by what didnt.

1 hour ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Not sure I love Jordan, but whatever.  A great player, possibly/probably the greatest, and a big time tool.  Thing is, the 2 years he was gone, the Bulls were still pretty damn good.  There's a reason the Bulls were 6-for-6 in the Finals, and it wasnt just because of Jordan.

If Hakeem was such an unstoppable force (and he was one of the best), how come they only got to the Finals twice?  What happened in '93...or '96? That's right, they got whipped in the 2nd round by that unstoppable force, Shawn Kemp.   And they beat the Knicks in '94 because Starks imploded.  

Maxwell....that's funny.

Simple fact is, you dont know the Rockets would have won in 94 and/or 95 any more than I know the Bulls would have.  And never will.  But the Rockets fans have developed such an inferiority complex about the subject over the years because Jordan WASNT there and in a lot of people's eyes it diminishes the achievement, ignoring the fact that it's still a HUGE achievement.  Cant be happy with what happened, gotta be irritated by what didnt.

We have an inferiority complex because a lot of casual fans and MJ apologist act like there should be some asterisk by '94 and '95... Hakeem was simply unstoppable during that stretch, MJ just happened to be out of the league at the same time. Go back and look at the Bulls/ Rockets Box Scores from '88-'97... The Bulls matched up terribly against Houston. 

And I wouldn't say the Sonics whipped HOU in '92, lost game 7 by 3 pts... that was with a Rookie Big Shot Bob and no Sam Cassel. '96 HOU was undoubtedly Hungover from 2 straight and Payton/ Kemp were in their primes. Oh and Detlef Schrempf... that was a good Sonics team. By '97 the rockets were old and had shipped the young guys off. Barkley gave them a little spark, but he was 34 years old. Dream and Drex were done. Still took the Jazz to 6 in the WCF.

But you're right. We will never know. And it sucks... I blame David Stern... Still think MJ's baseball adventure was a secret suspension by Stern. 

4 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

But the Rockets fans have developed such an inferiority complex 

People in Houston have an inferiority complex? You don't say ... 

3 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

But you're right. We will never know. And it sucks... I blame David Stern... Still think MJ's baseball adventure was a secret suspension by Stern. 

Oh, yeah. I agree.

Which year was it when Jordan and the Bulls lost to Shaq and the Magic in the playoffs? Didn't that happen? 

1 minute ago, Boston Frog said:

Oh, yeah. I agree.

Which year was it when Jordan and the Bulls lost to Shaq and the Magic in the playoffs? Didn't that happen? 

1995... Jordan came back late in the season, played 17 games. People say he wasn't in shape but he Averaged 31 pts/ game in the playoffs. A young Shaq abused the Bulls. Then Hakeem Abused Shaq in the Finals. He would have done the same against The Bulls. But the "Jordan wasn't MJ" narrative is too easy to use.

12 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Oh, yeah. I agree.

1995.  Jordan was up-and-down on his 17 game return, but the biggest reason the Bulls lost is that they never replaced Horace Grant that season.  That hole was exposed by Orlando....whose power forward was Horace Grant.  In the off-season Jerry Krause got Dennis Rodman (for Will Freaking Perdue - not one of SA's shrewder moves).  And the Bulls responded with one of the greatest 3 year runs ever.

Just now, DirtyThirdFrog said:

1995... Jordan came back late in the season, played 17 games. People say he wasn't in shape but he Averaged 31 pts/ game in the playoffs. A young Shaq abused the Bulls. Then Hakeem Abused Shaq in the Finals. He would have done the same against The Bulls. But the "Jordan wasn't MJ" narrative is too easy to use.

Thanks. I knew Houston won it one year when Jordan was at least playing. If he wanted to win more titles, he should have cooled it with the gambling. 

2 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Thanks. I knew Houston won it one year when Jordan was at least playing. If he wanted to win more titles, he should have cooled it with the gambling. 

A nice tinfoil hat conspiracy.  Maybe, maybe not.  Only thing missing is any evidence.  His dad getting murdered that summer might have played a role, too.

Just now, Radio Shack Killa said:

A nice tinfoil hat conspiracy.  Maybe, maybe not.  His dad getting murdered that summer might have played a role, too.

Perhaps a bit of chicken and egg there, too. I don't know. But minor league baseball for one of the most competitive athletes of all time at the height of his career? Never made sense.