Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Getting Around - Transportation in Ft. Worth

All information updated for 2017.

It used to be that you could get anywhere in Ft. Worth in 20 minutes. That hasn't been the reality for a long time, but things are improving with the opening of the Chisholm Trail Parkway, a 27.6 mile tollroad extending from downtown to south of Cleburne. Major highways around town are undergoing major construction to accommodate all the new folks moving to FW and those visiting the city. Driving in the western half of the metroplex is normally not as perilous as that in the east, but you'll still need a few pointers to get you safely from the airport, train station or bus terminal to Amon G. Carter Stadium, home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs. 

BY CAR

Car rental companies at the airport (App. 30 miles from downtown Ft. Worth and 35 miles from TCU campus.)

Car rental in downtown Ft. Worth (Location of train station and bus terminal; app. 5 miles from TCU campus.)

BY RAIL

Trinity Railway Express (No Sunday service to/from DFW Airport!)

Schedule

BY BUS

The T - Ft. Worth Transportation Authority (Routes 7 and 24 service TCU.)

TAXI

$51 flat rate from airport to downtown Ft. Worth.

AIRPORT SHUTTLE TO DOWNTOWN FT. WORTH

Yellow Checker Shuttle Company

DOWNTOWN TROLLY

Molly the Trolly (Loop through downtown every 10-15 minutes.)

TFH members: We need a source of frequently updated construction information. Is there an app or website y'all in FW use to get the scoop on road conditions and road work? Also, please chime in with tips on getting around town. Thanks!

How is the construction around FW, local Frogs? Can y'all add some on-going trouble spots for our visitors, particularly from the airport to campus and anything around downtown FW,  the Stockyards, and the Cultural District?

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

How is the construction around FW, local Frogs? Can y'all add some on-going trouble spots for our visitors, particularly from the airport to campus and anything around downtown FW,  the Stockyards, and the Cultural District?

No problems from Airport on 121.  STAY AWAY FROM I-35 North!!!

ISU, OU and OSU will likely come down that way, if they drive.  Advice:  Exit Heritage Trace, go East 2 miles to Hwy 377 and take that all the way to Downtown.  

14 hours ago, crunch said:

Absolutely.  You think off hours or weekends you will avoid the worst, but noooooo.

I guess that's especially true on a race weekend. 

(Visiting fans: Texas Motor Speedway is in the Alliance area on I-35W at State Hwy 114, north of Ft. Worth. If you're coming through there on a day they are racing, be prepared for a huge increase in traffic. They pull in a massive crowd. Plus, there's a giant construction project on the highway just south of TMS.)

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

How far does that project stretch? Are they widening and making new flyover ramps? It's long overdue. 

to north of 820.  My daughter lives up by the motor speedway so my  wife goes up and down I35 from south Fort Worth to go babysit once a week.  Doesn't typically go during rush hour.  There are some definite slow spots but the rest sometimes goes ok and sometimes it doesn't.  

During race weekend if you have to travel past TMS, the trick is to go while the race is going on when there isn't much race traffic.  Before or after of course if bad, but during not so much.

2 hours ago, weklfrog said:

to north of 820.  My daughter lives up by the motor speedway so my  wife goes up and down I35 from south Fort Worth to go babysit once a week.  Doesn't typically go during rush hour.  There are some definite slow spots but the rest sometimes goes ok and sometimes it doesn't.  

During race weekend if you have to travel past TMS, the trick is to go while the race is going on when there isn't much race traffic.  Before or after of course if bad, but during not so much.

Don't worry about TMS.  We are AT Baylor the only weekend of a big event this season.