Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TV Thread

Alright, I'm finally read up on this thread.  Been avoiding it for spoilers, but I've made an attempt to watch more shows lately.

Up to speed on Game of Thrones.  Still loving it. Although, apparently I didn't ever watch the season finale last year, so I was a bit confused with episode 1 this year.  Had to go back and watch it after.

I didn't get into House of Cards the first time and only made it through a few episodes.  I tried it again not too long ago and I'm up to the season finale of last year.

Up to speed on OITNB - absolutely hated this last season.  Seems like they're running out of ideas.  I thought the riot would only be for a couple episodes, but they milked that all the way through.

Better Call Saul - only watched the first couple episodes and didn't get into it.  But hearing the comments here, I'll have to give it another try.  Might be like House of Cards for me.

17 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I am starting to wonder if the GoT showrunners don't have some sort of side deal with the government to reduce obesity.  Because the last two episodes have done everything they can to ruin food for everybody ...

I remember the picking off greyscale to food part.  what the hell was that???

What was the week before?

4 minutes ago, $mooth said:

Hide contents

I remember the picking off greyscale to food part.  what the hell was that???

What was the week before?

Same character ... the way they segued from Sam's latrine duty to his soup-dispensing duty in the Maester's Academy cafeteria ...

Just now, Duquesne Frog said:

Hide contents

Same character ... the way they segued from Sam's latrine duty to his soup-dispensing duty in the Maester's Academy cafeteria ...

oh yes.  that was nasty.  same bowls!

5 hours ago, $mooth said:

Alright, I'm finally read up on this thread.  Been avoiding it for spoilers, but I've made an attempt to watch more shows lately.

Up to speed on Game of Thrones.  Still loving it. Although, apparently I didn't ever watch the season finale last year, so I was a bit confused with episode 1 this year.  Had to go back and watch it after.

I didn't get into House of Cards the first time and only made it through a few episodes.  I tried it again not too long ago and I'm up to the season finale of last year.

Up to speed on OITNB - absolutely hated this last season.  Seems like they're running out of ideas.  I thought the riot would only be for a couple episodes, but they milked that all the way through.

Better Call Saul - only watched the first couple episodes and didn't get into it.  But hearing the comments here, I'll have to give it another try.  Might be like House of Cards for me.

Stick with Better Call Saul. First season is a little slow. The past couple of seasons have been fantastic. Michael McKean is phenomenal. 

5 hours ago, $mooth said:

Completely agree. Waste of a season.

30 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

Stick with Better Call Saul. First season is a little slow. The past couple of seasons have been fantastic. Michael McKean is phenomenal. 

The closing scene of this season with McKean rivaled Breaking Bad for intensity and quality. 

Anybody buy a TV lately?  I'm looking for a 55-65 incher in the ballpark of $1000 (which puts the OLEDs out of my price range).  Consumer Reports seems to be high on LG and down on Vizio while CNET is the opposite.  Both have Samsung in between.  I'm mainly worried about picture quality, not so worried about smart TV software because I'm probably going to get a Roku to go with the TV anyway.

Curious to hear others experiences ...

I go in front of the big TV display, make a quick visual scan through all the screens and make a snap judgment on which TV has the best picture.  Not necessarily the brightest, not necessarily the sharpest, but the best combination of all factors.  My idea is that I'm going to be staring at that thing for a long time, so a couple of hundred dollars difference in cost doesn't matter over the life of the TV.

For some reason, when I do that, it ALWAYS winds up being a Sony.

1 hour ago, Newbomb Turk said:

I go in front of the big TV display, make a quick visual scan through all the screens and make a snap judgment on which TV has the best picture.  Not necessarily the brightest, not necessarily the sharpest, but the best combination of all factors.  My idea is that I'm going to be staring at that thing for a long time, so a couple of hundred dollars difference in cost doesn't matter over the life of the TV.

For some reason, when I do that, it ALWAYS winds up being a Sony.

Does Sony even make TVs any more?

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Anybody buy a TV lately?  I'm looking for a 55-65 incher in the ballpark of $1000 (which puts the OLEDs out of my price range).  Consumer Reports seems to be high on LG and down on Vizio while CNET is the opposite.  Both have Samsung in between.  I'm mainly worried about picture quality, not so worried about smart TV software because I'm probably going to get a Roku to go with the TV anyway.

Curious to hear others experiences ...

Maybe it's a year to year thing, but I was always under the impression that Samsung was the leader of that pack. 

I prefer Samsung over LG. To me, the picture is better, and their interface and remotes are better. You may find differently. I just replaced an LG with a Samsung last year. 

Dont dismiss the Smart TV functions, unless you want it primarily for ESPN and other options not available on the Smart TVs. 

3 hours ago, Luke Chisolm said:

Maybe it's a year to year thing, but I was always under the impression that Samsung was the leader of that pack. 

I prefer Samsung over LG. To me, the picture is better, and their interface and remotes are better. You may find differently. I just replaced an LG with a Samsung last year. 

Dont dismiss the Smart TV functions, unless you want it primarily for ESPN and other options not available on the Smart TVs. 

I agree with this. I got my Samsung last year and have been very happy. The LG casing just looked cheap. Not sure why, but regardless, I didn't want to spend that much on a tv and it looked shoddy.