Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Sciency stuff

The greatest solar eclipse in American history is headed straight for us, but the kids will play on.

The Little League World Series has plans for the event, which will be the first in Series history, even though the path of totality will pass south of its Williamsport, Pennsylvania, location on the afternoon of Aug. 21.

Still, even a partial solar eclipse must be respected, so organizers plan to hand out about 30,000 pairs of glasses, certified by the American Association of Ophthalmology as safe for looking at the sun, to fans who enter the complex. Players and managers also will be given the glasses, which will not be worn on the field, Little League spokesman Kevin Fountain told PennLive.com.

Both the Howard J. Lamade and Volunteer stadiums are lighted, so officials plan to turn on the lights to allow play to continue when the eclipse begins in central Pennsylvania at around 12:14 p.m. CT. It will reach the point of greatest darkness there at around 1:38 p.m., winding up at around 2:56 p.m.

There'll be a full slate of games on Aug. 21, beginning at 11 a.m. The tournament runs Aug. 17-27.

And if it rains, well, that's another matter.

On 8/13/2017 at 5:06 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Did you buy your eclipse glasses from Amazon? Check your email. 

Amazon recalls glasses 9 days before total solar eclipse
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/amazon_recalls_glasses_9_days.html

Makes me feel better about skipping amazon and finding a site off of the AAS list.  Spent a little more, but I was worried about the authenticity of the ISO certificates on the amazon sales.

2 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Friend of my wife owns a vacation place in Idaho, and he's driving up there now for the eclipse.  He also rented a parking place where he and his friends will be tailgating the eclipse.

I didn't realize Idaho was going to get much obscuration. How much is he expecting?

Oregon State, among a great number of other large and small locations, is renting parking spaces near the path of totality. You can sleep in your car overnight, but no camping. They are providing porta-potties. 

There's so far only been one guy looking for a woman to make an Eclipse Baby with. He's advertising on Craigslist. 

8 hours ago, $mooth said:

Makes me feel better about skipping amazon and finding a site off of the AAS list.  Spent a little more, but I was worried about the authenticity of the ISO certificates on the amazon sales.

Great. I'm sure it's because I posted this, I got an order cancellation email. Their supplier didn't get them the glasses in time. 

It's already getting eclipse crazy here. The little gas station where I buy my fuel HAD A LINE OF CARS EIGHT DEEP waiting this morning. That never happens! The nice little girl who always fuels for me said people are saying they're getting ready for the eclipse because they're afraid the gas stations are going to run out due to all the extra people coming into the state. She also said the state police guys told them that come Sunday they expect the two-lane state highway that their gas station sits on will be a parking lot. What normally is about a 25-minute trip to get to the next little town, they're anticipating will be a NINE HOUR trip. Lord have mercy! I got my e-clipse glasses today and I'm gonna be coming home Thursday afternoon from the grocery store and not going anywhere before Tuesday morning.

1 minute ago, PurpleDawg said:

It's already getting eclipse crazy here. The little gas station where I buy my fuel HAD A LINE OF CARS EIGHT DEEP waiting this morning. That never happens! The nice little girl who always fuels for me said people are saying they're getting ready for the eclipse because they're afraid the gas stations are going to run out due to all the extra people coming into the state. She also said the state police guys told them that come Sunday they expect the two-lane state highway that their gas station sits on will be a parking lot. What normally is about a 25-minute trip to get to the next little town, they're anticipating will be a NINE HOUR trip. Lord have mercy! I got my e-clipse glasses today and I'm gonna be coming home Thursday afternoon from the grocery store and not going anywhere before Tuesday morning.

Don't forget your bacon bits. I always forget bacon bits and have to go back. 

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Why do I get the feeling that we are looking at a Y2K-like overreaction?

1 hour ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Why do I get the feeling that we are looking at a Y2K-like overreaction?

Maybe where you are, but not here.

Remember how I've said Oregon's infrastructure is from the '80s at best? This will be a huge test of the highway system. The state emergency management people are using this as a prep for the big earthquake. People from as far away as LA are coming up here to be in the 60-mile wide path of totality and they're not utilizing the whole width of the state that that path traverses. They want to be in one little town called Madras, which normally has a population of less that 7,000. There are two ways to get to Madras and each is a two lane state highway. The girl at the gas station this morning also told me the state troopers told her they're expecting it to be a 39 hour trip (usually about 2.5) from her station to Madras. That's just insane.

The state has been preparing for this event for over a year and they anticipate more than 1 million people will converge on the area where 100% of the sun is covered by the moon. Hotels and campgrounds have been booked since the beginning of the year for the entire western half of the state. As I said in another post, people are renting parking spaces to sleep in overnight because all the rooms are booked. Residents in Madras, Salem, and other towns in the path are either renting their entire homes, rooms in their homes, or spaces in their yards for camping, and getting a LOT of money for them, too. Portland isn't even in the path of totality and the local government is cautioning us that our major roads and highways will be parking lots beginning Thursday night because of all the people who are going to decide at the last second to go 40 miles south to see the full eclipse. They're telling us to get groceries, medicine, gas, etc. before Thursday because they anticipate shortages and that deliveries won't be able to get through until the middle of next week.

These two reddit threads will be fun to watch from the comfort of my chair starting Friday.

The Portland Eclipse MegaThread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/6tq01z/solar_eclipse_megathread/?sort=new

The Oregon Eclipse MegaThread: https://www.reddit.com/r/oregon/comments/6mgznx/2017_oregon_solar_eclipse_apocalypse_megathread/

Hahahahahahahaha! Absolutely insane! (Reply from a redditor to a question from somebody about driving from Eugene to Portland and back on Saturday.)

"Just saw an interview on Facebook live with an OregonDOT person on WashingtonDOTs page saying it could take 3 DAYS to make a 3-hour drive. This is not a rumor, but an ODOT official saying this."

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Hahahahahahahaha! Absolutely insane! (Reply from a redditor to a question from somebody about driving from Eugene to Portland and back on Saturday.)

"Just saw an interview on Facebook live with an OregonDOT person on WashingtonDOTs page saying it could take 3 DAYS to make a 3-hour drive. This is not a rumor, but an ODOT official saying this."

It could be worse, and you could be on the water, because history has shown that a three-hour boat tour takes years instead of days...

4d7e0784decafe821f895fcbd64c9e9c.jpg

1 hour ago, Feeling Froggy said:

It could be worse, and you could be on the water, because history has shown that a three-hour boat tour takes years instead of days...

Now that you mention going by boat, people are trying to figure out how to get around Willamette Falls in Oregon City, the largest falls by volume in the PNW, so they can get down south to totality by water instead of by car. There were locks there, but they closed in 2011. I think there are going to be a ton of folks trying to haul their boats south of Oregon City to put in and then float on down to Salem. Trouble is, they're going to have a lot of company on a narrow river plus hell getting through all the cars on one of the major vehicle routes south while they are hauling.

This is all going to be delicious for those of us staying home and watching on the internet.